Planning on setting up 25 gal FOWLR ( first saltwater)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

degbowl

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was planning for months to set up a 10 gal FOWLR. I really wanted a bigger tank, but I live in a 1 bedroom apt and already have a 46 gal discus tank and 40 gal fancy goldfish tank. I found space to fit a 25 gal tank. I am buying it next month. I have already purchased equipment for the 10 gal that I can use for the 25 gal. I had ordered a fission Nano skimmer. It is on back order, but now I want a larger skimmer. Can anyone recommend a skimmer that would be right for this tank, not too noisy( don't want to wake the neighbors), and not one that I have to modify too much( I'm not that handy and I would rather pay a few extra $'s than modify the skimmer)? I would want a HOB skimmer.

I also have another question. The tank will have a glass top with a strip light. The tank will only be a FOWLR so I don't need special lighting, but should I buy a different light or bulb in case I want to try corals in the future when I get good at keeping a salt water tank? I guess it would be easy to upgrade the lighting later, but if it was not too much more then I would be better off buying better lighting from the start.

Any suggestions and links to good deals on anything I could use would be appreciated. I have been planning for months. I have kept freshwater for over 20 years but never tried saltwater. I want to do it right. TIA for your help.
Jim

you could go fo rthe aqua remora pro skimmer. its quiet and very effient with no mods. you can ge tone rated for a 75 gal tank, but that ok, plus you can upgrade to a bigger tank if you wanted. go to marineandreef.com (aqua c remora) thats the cheapest i have found it. also, some people dont like these lights and some do, but theyre a good price. aquatraders.com (lighting section)

Is there a wattage issue for FOWLR setup? I'm planning to set up a FOWLR as well, and I have a double strip fluorescent with 34 watts total over a 29 gallon. I don't know if LR requires strong light like corals. And what's all this I hear about 'low light' corals and anemones?

LR doesn't require special lighting. Corals I can't help you with. Any other suggestions for me. From what I am reading, I am going to buy cured LR. I don't want that much of an odor in a one bedroom apt. Like I said before I don't want make the neighbors mad.

Just an update. I think I am going with a 30 gal extra high. It would fit in the same spot as the 25, but would only be 4" taller. I went to one store to price out the tank. I was going to buy there, but now I will go somewhere else. The guy was trying to sell me a wet/dry filter and better lights. I was thinking of going with better lights, but he told me I needed for the live rock. I have been studying for months and I know I don't need the special lighting for LR. He was telling me that when I put LR in a tank then it is considered a reef tank. I felt like I new more than him and he was trying sell me what I didn't need. I have other LFS that I can go to for the same price. I'm also thinking of the Bak Pak 2r skimmer.

Back
Top Bottom