Planning saltwater tank new!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishie

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm planning a tank I don't know what size yet hoping for 55G or something but I still need to plan ahead! I don't know anything about saltwater! I want clowns though and live sand. Need to know advice!

Oooh, from the beginning! Great!
What fish you can keep will depend on the tank size, so figuring that out should be first priority.
Live Sand... Ok, I admit that I used live sand in my first setup, but I probably wouldn't bother in any future ones. Essentially, if you put in plain old aragonite sand and a single piece of live rock, within days, all your sand is "live sand" so I don't know that paying the extra money is worth it. Also, you have to consider how much of the bacteria and other critters are really still alive after the sand has been stored in a bag in a warehouse, shipped in an unheated cargo plane, stored in another warehouse, then sitting on a fish store shelf for a week.
Now, it certainly doesn't hurt anything, and it might liven up the sand bed faster than plain sand, but you can save money by buying mostly plain aragonite sand and maybe layering a little live sand on top.
Anyway, back to step one. Figure out what size tank, and where you'll be putting it. Will this be Fish Only (FO), Fish Only With Live Rock (FOWLR) or a Reef setup? Reefs are the prettiest IMO, but some fish are not reef safe.
Once you have tank size and type decided, then it's time to figure out what kinds of fish and start the cycling!

Go with a 75, not a 55! You'll be glad you did. A 55 is so limiting because of the front to back dimension. Also, purchase a "reef ready" tank and implement a sump. You will go to reef eventually and will want the extra filtration and a place to put a good protein skimmer.

My first was a 55. And at first I loved it didn't know why everyone hated them. But now it has been going for almost a year and there are a couple spots on the fron glass I can't clean cust he rocks r too close and my fish don't get seen much because they just hide in the rock work allday. For sure go for the 75 at least

I'm currently running a 45. But I can tell you that I want something bigger so bad it hurts! LOL

mr_X said:
Go with a 75, not a 55! You'll be glad you did. A 55 is so limiting because of the front to back dimension. Also, purchase a "reef ready" tank and implement a sump. You will go to reef eventually and will want the extra filtration and a place to put a good protein skimmer.

How much do you think this would cost? What is a protein skimmer? The dimensions on 55G are not that big back to front I agree ( I have one myself). I get the spot on my glass too they won't come off! Does any filter work on SW? thanks for the info I don't know too much about live sand but I can just get regular sand like you said doesnt matter too much to me!

I don't know exactly. If price is an issue, I would search your local craigslist for used tanks and equipment. you might be able to find a whole set up ready to go with livestock and all for pennies on the dollar.
A protein skimmer is a filtration component. Google "protein skimmer".

Might be late to the party here, lol, but I also would choose a 75g over a 55g. The front to back room really makes a big difference, I promise! hehe

Craigslist os a great place to get used and even new setups. I got a 90g setup, drilled tank brand new still in the bubble wrap for $200. :-D I actually ended up paying $50 for my 125g tank and stand. So many good deals, just have to be patient and not jump on the first deal you see.

Good luck!

Like Mr x said go with a sump you will be much happier since your skimmer will have a place and you won't have to worry about bubbles in your tank from a HOB skimmer. A 55 is ok but go with a 75 gallon because it is nearly the same footprint and get a drilled tank if possible to begin with. Check craigslist, local forums and swaps for good deals on used equipment.

Two things you will want is a good refractometer and a liquid test kit. Those are best to get from the start.

If you can't get a turnkey type of set up try to go with good quality from the beginning so you won't be buying twice. I got a turnkey set up and just upgraded the light with another used light. Everything else was top notch the person I got the setup from upgraded to a bigger tank but kept the upgraded light she got.

And if cost is a problem for u u can look up thousands of DIY things for this hobby. Can save u a good chunk of money. And some r some cool ideas as well.

Wow thanks everyone!! Probably will start new thread on it once I get a 75G tank keeping my eyes open for good deals too!

Yea cl is nice I got a 75 with Sump skimmer stand canapy metal halides chiller and a bunch of misc stuff for 280 shop around

Wow thanks everyone!! Probably will start new thread on it once I get a 75G tank keeping my eyes open for good deals too!

Congrats on joining the salty side of Aquarium Advice, lol. I too would go with the 75g, for the reasons above and the fact that there is more water volume. :-D

Good luck finding your tank!

Back
Top Bottom