Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-02-2004, 12:57 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Now that you've decided to go FOwLR, decide what kind of substrate you want, CC, shallow sand or DSB. CC will require some cleaning (siphoning out detritus).
You should also begin to think about this...Every new FOwLR is a reef wannabe within a year.
I know mine is, so think about this as you plan your livestock. Damsels can be quite aggressive so if really want them, add them last. Even then once they are comfortable they may begin chasing other fish.

Read up on sumps and refugiums. I converted my wet/dry to a sump and now I'm planning on replacing it with a larger sump so I can get all my equipment in it (heater, skimmer and pump).

Lighting is critical and expensive. I started with the NO included by my LFS, changed one side to a PC and now I'm planning on getting a 72" Aquaspacelight.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 08:35 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

o ic. one of my friend told me he uses those damsels to cycle the water. that's cruel yeh so i wont do that. anyways, i want a peaceful community sw tank. are clown fishes less aggressive?

Old 01-04-2004, 08:38 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

i guess i have much reading to do.... now that cmor1701d mentioned it.
Old 01-04-2004, 03:17 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

As you read you'll start to develop a plan of what you want your tank to be. There's a lot more that SHOULD go into the planning stage for SW than for FW. I was in FW for many years (10+) before deciding on trying SW. Thought I knew quite a bit too. Then went and made a bunch of mistakes (like buying a great package from the LFS) before finding this forum and reading the posts.

As you read you'll find conflicting advice from different sites and people. One thing I urge you to try and find out is WHEN an article was published. Things change over time and what was new and exciting a few years ago was proven to be wrong over time.

There's been debate over the past year on DSB's too, though I think the jury is still out on that one.

As questions arise, come back here and ask. Also, keep reading the various posts here so you will become familiar with the posters and get an idea of who's advice you should take and who's advice should be taken with a grain of salt. No one here will deliberately mislead you but some people have been in this hobby longer than others and have seen and done more.

I'm still a newbie to SW so I only try to pass on information that I've learned to trust and I avoid commenting on areas I know little or nothing about.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
set up, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com