Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-09-2009, 10:24 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by thincat View Post
I would use raw uncooked shrimp. Shrimp breaks down better then fish and your tank will have less fats that will only take longer to decompose. for a 29g one large cocktail shrimp is enough.
It's cured rock, why the suggestion to shove a whole shrimp in there to muck up the water before trying a more limited ammonia source (say ammonia or small amount of fish food) to test for the cure ratio of the rock?

Your salinity and water temp are at the low end of the spectrum.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:42 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Question

So should I put the shrimp in or not? Im buying 10 more lbs of LR today making it a total of 21 lbs as of this afternoon. I plan on buying more but for now, I think that should suffice without fish in the aquarium. Im going to max it at around 25-30lbs of LR before I put fish in. The temp as of last night was 77F and the specific gravity was between 1.020-1.021. Ill raise the temp up a little bit. I want the nitrogen cycle to start so what is the best way to do get the ammonia level to rise. I did read the article about putting a raw shrimp in there.

Also, to raise the specific gravity, should i just pour in some salt or what??

Old 07-09-2009, 12:16 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

No - never just pour salt into an aquarium. It would burn the fish and corals if you just pour it in undissolved. You don't have any inhabitants now but it's a good habit to get into of properly mixing, aerating, and aging your saltwater before adding it to the aquarium. As far as raising the salinity, you could top off with properly aged and prepared saltwater instead of your RO water until you reach your desired SG, or you could do a series of water changes with water prepared to 1.025 SG. Whatever you do, make sure it's a gradual process. You're probably not going to see a change in salinity after just one water change, which is a good thing, especially if you did have animals in there.

An t-iasg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:35 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

When I pick up the LR today, Ill ask for some additional water from one of their tanks, that'll probably be good I would assume? Am I correct in thinking that?
Old 07-09-2009, 01:07 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

No, I would not do that. Stores often keep their SG lower to keep parasites at bay and because it's cheaper - they don't use as much salt that way. It tends to be OK for the fish (hopefully) because the fish aren't there long before they're sold to someone with a proper SG. So no, that's not a good solution for you. Also, mixing store water with your water is always discouraged. You just don't know what is in there - maybe some parasites, or maybe they did use some meds or other additives. When you acclimate fish (you can research and ask about that before you get fish!) you always throw out the store water/acclimation water and don't add it to your tank.

Old 07-09-2009, 02:09 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok, I will take that into account. What I will do today is buy the LR, then make a couple of gallons of SW and put it in the tank. I should put the raw shrimp in there though right - as I read in your article?
Old 07-09-2009, 02:44 PM   #17
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

So am I correct in thinking that this is Cured LR. It`s been in a tank right. If the rock is cured then you might not see a cycle. It makes no difference on the shrimp as it will provide an ammonia source to keep the nitrifying bacteria alive.You could use a few flakes a day if you want instead. Most folks when the start dont have cured rock so their tank goes through a cycle. IMO it wont hurt to use the shrimp. Just use 1 small one.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 03:00 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

if cured, very very small.. Your water will thank you.

'I bought 11lbs of cured LR yesterday and put it in the tank.'
Old 07-09-2009, 03:32 PM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

I should add a point to my previous post. You can buy premixed saltwater at most lfs stores. I don't know if that would help raise your salinity or not - you'd have to ask at what SG they mixed it to. Buying premixed saltwater is ok. Getting saltwater from their display tanks to add to your tank is not recommended.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:51 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CementShoes View Post
if cured, very very small.. Your water will thank you.

'I bought 11lbs of cured LR yesterday and put it in the tank.'
There is an on going debate about using LR instead of a raw shrimp or pure ammonia to cycle a saltwater tank. You can do it in any of these ways. If you used just the LR it will take you longer to cycle your AQ. The ammonia concentration would be low and the cycle would be slower. Adding pure ammonia is a great way to, except if you add to much pure ammonia or the wrong kind of ammonia. The shrimp method is simple, you can't OD your water with it. If at the end of the cycle you still have some shrimp left...take it out and throw it away. You can't take an OD of ammonia out and most new people to saltwater want their cycle to be done "yesterday" so waiting for the LR method is a real test of their patience. IMO

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com