Plans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So am I correct in thinking that this is Cured LR. It`s been in a tank right. If the rock is cured then you might not see a cycle. It makes no difference on the shrimp as it will provide an ammonia source to keep the nitrifying bacteria alive.

Is there a timeline that live rock can stay alive without a food source? Is it a few days, a few weeks, a month ...?

I would assume that since LR has lots of fauna that light would play an important role in the lifespan of live rock.

Yes, an all living things produce waste.And waste breaks down to ammonia thus feeding the bacteria. I don't know how much of a load this would support but some bateria will survive.

Interesting stuff.

I'm right in the middle of cycling my tank and I realize if a fish were in my system the mortality rate would be high - but what's interesting is all the stuff that hitchhiked on the live rock I purchased (feather dusters, bristol worms, aiptasia, asterina stars) will survive the ammonia and nitrite spikes. I assume?

Sorry for throwing your thread off subject Sharkbait!

Its ok Boulder, dont you worry because its all helpful to me!

Anyways, I wanted to provide an update. So far, I have 30lbs of LR in the tank, the pH is 7.8-8.0, Ammonia is 0, Nitrite is 0, Nitrate is ~20, SG is 1.022. I have had the tank set up with LR for 2 and a half weeks now. How is it going? I see plenty of life in there that I believe came from the LR. I found at least 2-3 snails, a small tiny clam, some tube worms, and 2 anemones (all the creatures ive seen so far are very very small). How is it going? Do you think my tank has cycled since i am showing nitrates?

The bacteria in the live rock will stay alive for a long time without any food source. Just at lower levels. as the bacteria dies it must breakdown producing NH4. thus creating more bacteria. the levels will be lower but you will not completely kill your live rock as long as Ph temp and SG are maintained.

This lower level is the reason that you should always add stock to your Aquarium slowly to let the bacteria build back up to a level that can support the new load.

So what does anyone think about the levels I posted yesterday a few posts back? Should I add a tiny raw shrimp to spike the ammonia level again? I have 30lbs of LR in there and I think thats going to be my max.

Well, If you noticed a raise and fall of your nitrite level then your cycle may be complete. I would add your CUC and a week later add a fish and then monitor again to see if your levels are okay.

Alight, well I started my CUC yesterday after getting the go ahead from you nice enthusiasts. I bought 2 peppermint shrimp and 2 astria snails and they are loving their new home. I acclimated them and everything went really well. The shrimp are loving their new 30lbs of LR to feed off of and the snails are checking things out. Should I add some more members for my CUC?? Im so excited!! This is my first SW tank and they are my first newly purchased forms of life!

BTW, I noticed on one of the pieces of rock that I have a feather duster worm (he's a little guy) and on one of the other rocks I found a tiny anemone. Another interesting thing that I saw yesterday was that in one of the rocks that has lots of little holes and crevaces, there is this teeny tiny little worm looking thing (could even pass for a tiny tiny shrimp) coming in and out of all the different holes. Should I be alarmed??

Thanks everyone for the advice and guidance! Can't wait to start adding fish!

P.S. Will post pictures of the tank and its setup pretty soon.

If your ammonia and nitrItes are at 0 you can add a fish now, but check your levels. I added fish before I even knew what a CUC was!

Back
Top Bottom