Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-06-2009, 12:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Plans

Ok, so here are my plans for my tank and its status at the moment. Please let me know if I'm on the right track or not!

Tank Status:
-Crystal Clear water with a salinity level of 1.020
-Daily check of Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite, pH, & Alkalinity - Everything Perfect!!!
-Water Temperature of 76F
**Nothing alive yet as I wanted to get everything up and running w/ perfect water conditions (this is Day 3)

Future Plans:
1. Today, going to buy livesand to add a layer on top of my aragonite/crushed coral substrate (is this ok??? I have the tank filled, will it be ok to pour the live sand in even with the tank filled????)
2. Tomorrow, going to buy 10lbs of LR - in two weeks will by another 5-10lbs with a plan of having a total of 20lbs of LR in the tank
3. 2 weeks from now, will buy my first fish or two. I will probably start off with 2 clownfish
4. Plan on having about 6-7 fish, 2 cleaner shrimp, 2-3 anenomes, 1 starfish, and possibly a sea slug and/or clam

How does this look? Any suggestions?

Old 07-06-2009, 01:47 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to divedeep1689
just keep a check on your levels after you add live rock once everything is settled then get your fish

special thanks to melosu58 , roka , thincat,CaptainAhab (and many more who i will list later as i find thier names so i can spell them lol ) for i would not have the tank or the knowledge i have about my tank if not for them.
divedeep1689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 02:14 PM   #3
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I personally would remove the CC and replace with sand. If you add sand now then it will eventually find it`s way through the CC and under it. It`s pretty easy to remove and replace with sand. Just siphon out the CC with a hose and take a PVC pipe and run the well rinsed sand down the pipe to where it needs to be. You`ll have a small sandstorm but not like if you just through it in. Just a suggestion.

BTW welcome to AA

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 02:26 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

You can't really measure your parameters of ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate yet - you have nothing alive in the tank.When you get live rock, your tank will go through a cycle and build up the beneficial bacteria needed to support the fish. Please don't add fish until this cycle is completed - you can't really say that you're going to get fish in two weeks because the cycle may not be done yet. Anemones require a more established tank to do well - don't add them right away.

How big is the tank? You need 1 1/2 to 2 pounds of live rock per gallon in order to successfully support the bioload of the fish and corals. For a 29 gallon tank, you will probably need more rock than 20 pounds. You can cure it right in your tank since you have nothing alive in the tank that would be harmed by the resulting ammonia and nitrite spikes. After the tank cycles, if you would want additional rock, then it would be best to cure it in a separate tank.

When you do test your parameters, please post the exact numbers from your test results, rather than saying they are perfect or ok. The numerical value helps us better determine where you are in the cycle.

Here are some articles to get you started:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articl...ank/Page1.html

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articl...ick/Page1.html

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articl...ate/Page1.html

An t-iasg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 08:14 PM   #5
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Those are some greatarticles Deb gave you. Please read them to get the concept of cycling.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

View my tank

Old 07-07-2009, 09:35 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thumbs up

Alright so just to update, I ended up not having crushed coral for a substrate like I thought I did - I made the mistake. It's strictly aragonite. I understand completely about the live rock and all and will be picking up about 10lbs of it today. Next week I will be away on vacation so the following week I am going to buy another 15 lbs. I'm definitely going to wait until the tank cycles before I put any livestock in there. I want to do all this right. What do you think of live sand? Yes or no? And how am I going to put it in the filled tank without having a sand storm in there????
Old 07-07-2009, 10:57 AM   #7
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58 View Post
Just siphon out the CC with a hose and take a PVC pipe and run the well rinsed sand down the pipe to where it needs to be. You`ll have a small sandstorm but not like if you just through it in.
As far as the sand storm I already suggested this. I say get dry sand. I really doubt the validity of "live" sand. The dry sand will become live over time.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

View my tank

Old 07-08-2009, 10:15 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok, here's an update...

I bought 11lbs of cured LR yesterday and put it in the tank. I plan on buying another 10lbs or so before the end of the week. Should I still plan on sticking one raw fish (as it said in one of the articles provided to me)?

Thanks for your help everyone!
Old 07-08-2009, 10:40 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would use raw uncooked shrimp. Shrimp breaks down better then fish and your tank will have less fats that will only take longer to decompose. for a 29g one large cocktail shrimp is enough.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:54 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

One thing I missed in the above post, Your salinity is to low. Try to bring it up to ~1.025.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com