Plans- please evaluate!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

R4MZY

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Here are my plans for my ten gallon nano tank:
(was freshwater, Im converting to saltwater)

Empty tank and clean throughly, clean all decor thoroughly, (no soap though), and replace filter cartridges. Now, go to local fish store and buy (??unsure of amount)lbs of live sand, and (??)lbs of live rock. Then I will buy synthetic sea salt and if affordable, a skimmer. I will mix the sea salt and put it in the tank. (should I clean the LS and LR first?). Then I will turn on the filter, and let cycle for a while until the water is ready. Then I will go and rescue a clownfish or two from petco, or go to a LFS if the ones in petco look real bad. I will let the bag sit over the water until they are at the same temp and then slowly let the fish into the water.

Does all this sound correct? Or does it have failure written all over it? Any suggestions/help would be nice :eek:

The amount of sand will depend greatly on the depth you wish to have. The >>calculator<< on this site can help you with that. Cleaning the sand is neither recommeded nor necessary. Even the fine dust particles will be of benefit. The LR will depend on if it's cured or uncured. You can read about that >>here<< if necessary.

What type of filter did you have planned for the tank? The skimmer on a 10 gal tank is also not really needed. The same thing can be accomplished with small weekly water changes but I leave that up to you and your wallet :wink:

I applaud you efforts in being willing to rescue fish from the "tanks of doom" but you should also >>QT<< these fish prior to placing in any main housing tank. Even if they may end up being the only two.

Cheers
Steve

I have a Top Fin 10 hang on back filter, and a very simple in tank filter w/aeration. I guess I wont purchase the skimmer, I really dont have alot to spend on this conversion. Do you have any very simple ways to acclimate the fish? The way I read about sounds too complicated, and I do not have the materials for it. What ways do you suggest? And approximately how long do you think it will take to cycle a ten gallon?

acclomation and quarinteen are different.

acclomation is the process of getting the fish used to the water conditions inside your tank. quarinteen is the process of watching the fish for several days/weeks to make sure they are disease free before putting them in your display tank.

You can skip the quarinteen if you wish but its in no way recommended. Inproper acclomation is opening yourself up to potental fish disease and health issues.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=18

The above link will give you a description of a good acclomation procedure.

The time it takes to cycle is somewhat dependant upon how cured the rock is. If you get high quality live sand (not the sand in a bag stuff) and cured live rock you might never see a cycle of any noticable lenght. If you get uncured live rock then it could be weeks.

you really shouldn't wash live sand or live rock. - if there live anyways. this will only harm the animals living in them. make sure you LR is cured though- it shouldn't smell bad, sometimes if cured properly it even smells sweet.
about quaranteening fish- you don't have to if its the first fish in the tank, as the whole point of quaranteen is to stop a disease from being introduced from the new fish to others.

echo7 said:
about quaranteening fish- you don't have to if its the first fish in the tank, as the whole point of quaranteen is to stop a disease from being introduced from the new fish to others.
I strongly disagree with that. If you introduce a fish, even the first without quarantining the animal you run the risk of contaminating the tank with further problems. You also must go through the extremely stressful task (To the fish) of catching the animal again for treatment. The main tank should never be used to treat fish and should always be done seperately in a proper QT environment.

If the fish is properly quarantined after purchase, it can be propely monitored for 3-4 weeks for possible health issues and if treatment is necessary it can be done quickly and easily without further stress or higher risk of death. Once the fish is introduced after properly QTing, it will then never again be the cause of a further parasitic/viral problem in the future.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom