Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-04-2003, 08:30 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

plastic ornaments in sw setup please advise

what a great site found loads of advise but was just wondering..... i have just bought a new tank 48"w 18"d 20"h and was goung to use it for tropicals but we have changed our minds and want to start a salt water one but befor we had changed our minds i have bought a very large plastic galleon which measures about 30" long and 9" high it is split in 2 halves i was just wondering if you can still use these in sw setups - i was thinking of putting 1 half at each end of the tank and putting living rock in the middle if anyone can offer any advise on this i would be greatfull
[/code]

Old 11-04-2003, 08:40 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via ICQ to notmuffy
Welcome to the Aquarium Advice, especially someone from our side of the pond!

You can put whatever plastic aquarium trinkets in there that you want. I think that a broken galleon would be a nice place for some shy fishes and crabs to hide. Just make sure you like it where you put it because once you get your tank really growing you don't want to disturb in invertabrate inhabitants.

Old 11-04-2003, 12:58 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

just my 2cents here so dont be offended. I think those plastic things ppl put in aquariums are fairly cheesy and i wouldnt put one in my tank, ever. They're ok for fresh water but i dont know how corrosive salt water is on that type of plastic. Plus something painted to me is a big no no in a salt tank.
Old 11-04-2003, 01:27 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
dont know how corrosive salt water is on that type of plastic.
Actually, I would think that plastic would last longer than just about any other material in saltwater.

Quote:
Plus something painted to me is a big no no in a salt tank.
Ditto. I am sure the paint used on those things is non-toxic, but it never hurts to try and stay away from chemicals like that. At the very least, they can be no *good* for the tank.

Overall, you should have no problems putting plastic ornaments in the tank. It's just a matter of personal preference.
Old 11-04-2003, 01:46 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

I agree with biotoxin, there is a cheese factor associated with plastic toys in a sw aquarium. If you do wish to use plastics or synthetic ornaments, I would suggest the reproduction corals for a more natural look.

My two cents...
Old 11-04-2003, 01:57 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

hehe cheese factor. Sounds like some complex algorithim. cheese x velocity divided by tank size and treasure chest division.
Old 11-04-2003, 04:24 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via ICQ to notmuffy
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodneyCK
I agree with biotoxin, there is a cheese factor associated with plastic toys in a sw aquarium. If you do wish to use plastics or synthetic ornaments, I would suggest the reproduction corals for a more natural look.

My two cents...
You Guys!!!
This person just spent $40 on a decoration that I'm sure looks nicer than we are picturing. Be a little nicer, please!
Old 11-04-2003, 04:35 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to possum Send a message via Yahoo to possum
I have a big plastic rock thingy in my tank that is plastic. It has already got corraline growing on it and i even have 3 yellow star polyps on it!

(edited for the many spelling errors i found that i had made as a result of sleeping to **** long )
Old 11-04-2003, 04:36 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
This person just spent $40 on a decoration that I'm sure looks nicer than we are picturing. Be a little nicer, please!
Absolutely. Not only that, but in time, coralline algae will completely cover the ornaments. They will look like rock to some extent.
Old 11-04-2003, 04:39 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to possum Send a message via Yahoo to possum
Quote:
Originally Posted by biotoxin
i dont know how corrosive salt water is on that type of plastic. Plus something painted to me is a big no no in a salt tank.
Im not 100% sure but wouldnt they probably use the same kind of plastic as they use for making powerheads and other things that are normally found in SW tanks?

Tags
plastic, setup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com