Plate coral bleaching

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jpassman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought a plate coral frag from my lfs about one month ago. It has been doing well until the last few days. But now I think it has a small bleaching spot on it. It currently is placed near the top of the live rock. I have maxispect razor led lights, (which run up to a 100% thru the day), my levels all seem to be stable, my flow is moderate to high in that area, and the rest of my coral look good for now. Any suggest what could be going wrong and how to fix it?
Thanks
Johm

image-3444536447.jpg

If its only white around the edges looks like new growth. Very nice color. Calcium and alk fine? Have lights been running at 100 percent for awhile or just a few days?

Coral Bleaching

Thank you for your responce. I thought that small wedge shaped white area at the top of the picture was bleaching. I just noticed it yesterday. The lfs store had it sitting in a square shallow tank with metal halides. It has been in my tank for 1 month using 100 % lighting leds (but they gradually turn on and off in a day) . Now my ALK did drop a few days from 8.5 to 7.5. I did correct the problem by adding alklinity when I found out. Maybe the drastistic change aggitated it. Was just checking to see if any one with more experience had any suggestions.

Those edges are most definitely dead or bleaching. When you say plate coral do you mean (fungia sp.) Because that looks like no plate I've seen. Also if it is a plate coral then I would keep it on the sand bed far from the lights. LEDs can bleach corals very easily since the light penetrates much deeper then MH or t5. For example a lot of people start their LEDs at 10-20% and work em up to around 60%. I don't know many people running full blast at 100% without seeing bleaching.

I am sorry. The local fish guy called it plate coral. But it really is plate shaped montipora. They said to use bright light and lots of flow. I told him I had LEDs and asked if I should move it down or adjust the lighting. He said no. It has been in my tank one month, and I just have noticed it those changes in the last few days. Should I cut my max intensity back or just move it down, or both.

Leds are much more potent then MH after a few inches of water so If the rest of your corals are looking ok then I would move the monti down and gradually bring it up higher in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom