Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-27-2004, 09:13 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist
So curiousity got the best of me, I took 1 cup of my "milk" and added 2 pippetes worth of vinegar, a little swirl and presto clear water.

Anyone have any comments?

sevise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 12:15 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Newbie
I had the same problem as ScurdOfCychlidz. My water was cloudy for like a day. Then when the dust settled, it settled all over my LR. My reef looks like a winter scene. Has anyone else had this problem of the sand settling all over your LR. How do you get the sand off the LR without again stirring up more cloudy water. Will the sand naturally settle to the bottom sand bed?

On a second note, should a fish go into a reef tank first or inverts?

rokz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 01:12 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
this is normal for this sand, this is why IMO its best to add the sand then water then LR. I did it this way had had 0 sand storm. Using plastic bags to cover sand when adding water into glass bowl.... Use a baster and blow of the LR a little every day till its all clean.
After your tank cycles you can add what ever you want fish, inverts not order with them. Certain fish should be added last because they are territorial.
9/02-125 REEF, 125 lbs LR,LS 4x160 VHO, Reef Devil /Sump, Fuge
7/03-55 FOWLR 60lb LR, 50 lb SD sand 2x40 NO strip light, Reef Devil/sump, Fuge

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 06:01 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist
Used a turkey baster to clear the dust off the rock. Its been a little over a month now, and even when I do purposefully stir up the bottom it clears pretty quickly. I think the sand gets 'heavier' as it is populated with bacteria.

Can't comment on the vinegar solution, I'd avoid it and just wait. My 2c.
Nate C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 07:48 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular
I am just in the process of setting up a FW tank using play sand. I plan on a female convict chiclid & small goldfish from my outside pond as occupants.
I started the tank last Ssunday & feel I should have taken the time to rinse the sand!!

I have 2 hob filters running all week & have taken them out each evening & rinsed the dust out of them & the filters.

Today I moved my first fish in--the female convict & 2 goldfish. The golds are having fun picking up a mouthful of sand & spitting back out. So they are mucking it up again!

I also have a 12inch airstone bar in the tank.

jaowl is offline   Reply With Quote

cloud, sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com