play sand cloudiness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

geo-way

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,
This is my first post on this forum, though I've been reading for it about six months now. I'm new to saltwater, been reading and studying for some time, and 2 weeks ago setup my first tank. 30 gallons, FOWLR. I set it up in the method described in "New Marine Aquarist". I added and arranged the live rock first (30 lbs), let it run for about a week, then decided to add the substrate. I used the old castle playsand because it's cheap and I've read it's the same as all the fish store sand. But here's my problem: I searched the forums and most everyone seemed to say just pour the sand in, don't rinse it. So I started to put some in (like 3 cupfulls, not very much) and it got completely cloudy, like you couldn't see anything. After a day it's still cloudy but I can kinda see through it. And everything is coated in dust. Did I do something wrong? Is all this dusty stuff gonna mess up my live rock or kill things on/in it? I used a powerhead to blow some of the sand and dusty stuff off the rocks but now the water is totally cloudy again. What should I do? Is it always gonna get cloudy whenever the sand gets stirred up? I'm starting to think I should have bought the expensive stuff.
OK anyway, sorry this post is so long. Any comment would be appreciated. And by the way, this forum is great. I've learned a ton. I'll probably be posting again in a few weeks when I'm ready for my first fish!

Hey! I'm pretty new too and just added my first fish but due to $$ constraints I added about 15 gallons of SW to the tank then put all my sand in (rinsed the sand first with a bucket and water) and then added the rest of the water...then about 5 days later I added my live rock...the sand was pretty cloudy the first 2 days then the 3rd it started clearing up...just put your filter on high if you can and that will help it...then before you add fish I would change out the filters components just because it will have a lot of dust and stuff on them...

oh and I've read in a book it says to add live rock and water then do sand last..however i think that wud just be a bigger mess...getting it over the rock and everything...i found doing water/sand/water/rock was best for me...
but i hope this all helps :)

I added old castle unrinsed sand last thurs. (80lbs into my 90gal tank). It took over a week to clear. Activated charcoal helps (you DO want to rinse the charcoal). And run your skimmer / filters full time.

It is worth it in the long run. My opinion. Hang in there.

From another newbie -

Nate C

Are you supposed to run your powerheads while the sand is settling? Should I run my powerheads as-soon-as I add the water, sand and rock, or should I wait until the water clears and then turn on the powerheads?

If there is an aquarists club in your area, find them and join up. I'm continually amazed at all the great deals, trades and nice people I have met.

Nate C

I added my sand first, covered it all with a plastic garbage bags and then put a glass bowl in the middle. Pour the water into the bowl and keep pouring slow even after the bags start to float. do this till the tank is full then take out the bowl. you will have near clear water.
With water in the tank Add sand through a 2-3" piece of PVC pipe that is long enough to reach the bottom of the tank with some out the top. then pour the sand in slowly moving the pipe along the bottom. This should help reduce the clouds.... Good luck.. Let me know how this works I have heard it works well....
If you have a hang on back filter add that with the filters in it to help remove the particles, micron filter pad in you sump area will help also. you will need to rinse them often......

I use play sand for one of my old FW tanks and it took a couple of days to clear with a powerfilter. It was only 1 gal too.

I added half my sand(80lbs) today and it went milky. I'm running my skimmer and a single return pump. The powerheads where agitating the bottom too much. I put 50micron felt over the overflows as they dump into the sump. The skimmer is producing alot of foam and pulling out alot of the silt.

I had an idea, its pretty crazy. If I added vingar to the tank, it should react pretty rapidly with the finest particles AKA the ones in suspension. I have no idea what else it would do though.

So curiousity got the best of me, I took 1 cup of my "milk" and added 2 pippetes worth of vinegar, a little swirl and presto clear water.

Anyone have any comments?

I had the same problem as ScurdOfCychlidz. My water was cloudy for like a day. Then when the dust settled, it settled all over my LR. My reef looks like a winter scene. Has anyone else had this problem of the sand settling all over your LR. How do you get the sand off the LR without again stirring up more cloudy water. Will the sand naturally settle to the bottom sand bed?

On a second note, should a fish go into a reef tank first or inverts?

this is normal for this sand, this is why IMO its best to add the sand then water then LR. I did it this way had had 0 sand storm. Using plastic bags to cover sand when adding water into glass bowl.... Use a baster and blow of the LR a little every day till its all clean.
After your tank cycles you can add what ever you want fish, inverts not order with them. Certain fish should be added last because they are territorial.

Used a turkey baster to clear the dust off the rock. Its been a little over a month now, and even when I do purposefully stir up the bottom it clears pretty quickly. I think the sand gets 'heavier' as it is populated with bacteria.

Can't comment on the vinegar solution, I'd avoid it and just wait. My 2c.

I am just in the process of setting up a FW tank using play sand. I plan on a female convict chiclid & small goldfish from my outside pond as occupants.
I started the tank last Ssunday & feel I should have taken the time to rinse the sand!!

I have 2 hob filters running all week & have taken them out each evening & rinsed the dust out of them & the filters.

Today I moved my first fish in--the female convict & 2 goldfish. The golds are having fun picking up a mouthful of sand & spitting back out. So they are mucking it up again!

I also have a 12inch airstone bar in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom