Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-18-2011, 07:32 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I happen to LOVE the narsicus(sp?) snails, will they work in a DSB of PFS? The grains are kinda larger. I also wanted a sand sifting star and a sifting goby.

I am 99% sure I'm gonna go with the PFS. I figure I'll pick it up on Saturday and start rinsing, it's gonna take days! lol

Old 05-18-2011, 07:37 PM   #22
AA Team Emeritus

Carey,

If you are going to be rinsing a large amount of sand I would suggest the pillow case trick. Basically, put 10-20lbs of sand in a pillow case, put your hose into and stir the sand around until it runs clear out of the case. After that, dump it in the tank or in another container.

I used this on the past two tanks I set up and it has saved me tons of time. I used it with both Quickrete's Premium Playsand and AquaQuartz's Pool Filter Sand.

Old 05-18-2011, 07:39 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Neat trick! I had almost forgotten about that! That should save me some time for sure!

Was the playsand harder to clean btw Meegosh?

thanks very much!
Old 05-18-2011, 07:46 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

+1

The pillow case trick IMO, is the only way to rinse PFS. I tried the bucket method once and it was a pain. Plus I re-rinsed that same load in a pillow case and got more dust out than what I removed via the bucket. Only I rinse it in the shower since I have a hand wand and it makes easy peasy .
Old 05-18-2011, 07:50 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

Can you rinse sand with tap?
Old 05-18-2011, 07:54 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Haven't given it much thought as to where I would rinse it. i don't have the hand wand in my showers since I moved. :-( I do have one in the kitchen but not sure I want the sand getting into my garbage disposal.

Guess I'll be outside with the garden hose and some pillowcases and lots and lots of buckets and bins.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:57 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purevil21 View Post
Can you rinse sand with tap?
I do and don't see it as an issue. I put cured (Prime) water in the tank after I have the substrate set, so any chlorine/et al is dealt with IMO. Haven't had any problems to date.

Don't forget the plate trick when adding water to a sand bed, it keeps the sand in place and there's literally no stir. If you don't know the trick, put a dinner size plate (or whatever fits in your tank) on the sand and pour onto the plate. Works like a charm .
Old 05-18-2011, 07:57 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

This might be an idea! I don't know if it will be good or bad, lol.

Since your tank is empty, why not just put it all in the tank and put a HOB filter on there, and stir up the sand occasionally?
scottayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 08:01 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottayy View Post
This might be an idea! I don't know if it will be good or bad, lol.

Since your tank is empty, why not just put it all in the tank and put a HOB filter on there, and stir up the sand occasionally?

LOL If it were only that easy!! I wish i could fill it up with ro/di water and then add salt and just mix. Then shoot the sand down... but I guess thats not practical. What's also not practical is me mixing 4 gallon buckets of sw and filling a 125g 4gallons at a time.

But I'm veering off topic, my bad....
Old 05-18-2011, 08:03 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

I used a pie dish, no sand kick up at all.

Tags
pool, pool sand, sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com