Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-19-2011, 06:01 PM   #51
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Theres SOO mcuh to learn. It's not like you can ever know it all. I love that. My knowledge base only gets bigger, it's so cool. I love the challenge in keeping perfect tanks especially my saltwater setups. I'm actually understanding alot more.

Can't wait to pick up my PFS. Gonna get it on saturday I think.

Old 05-19-2011, 06:07 PM   #52
Aquarium Advice Addict

i agree you can never know it all in this hobby, i'm a big fan of DIY stuff so i've looked up alot of info abotu different equipment so i know how to build my own ( reactors, skimmers, sumps and even lighting fixtures)

Old 05-19-2011, 06:10 PM   #53
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I wish I was more inclined to DIY. I'm thinking though that learning allthis sump stuff is gonna make me more confident. I'm already planning on adding a shelf for an ATO. But thats for another thread lol
Old 05-19-2011, 06:12 PM   #54
Aquarium Advice Addict

DIY isn't to hard just research and take your time and be safe if they require power tools, if you don't feel comfortable then either but a ready made or have soemone else do the tougher stuff
Old 05-19-2011, 06:14 PM   #55
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
i don't believe silica sand causes algae. silica is inert. it's basically crushed quartz. i don't believe anything "leaches" out of it at all. at worst, the texture of the grains might be good for algae growth, but that's a nutrient issue, not a sand issue.
just remember that silica based sand does nothing to buffer the ph.

also, in all of the reef tanks i've kept, not one sand bed ever saw a vacuum, and i never had any trouble with any of them. smaller grains will remove the need for sand bed maintenance.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:21 PM   #56
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
i don't believe silica sand causes algae. silica is inert. it's basically crushed quartz. i don't believe anything "leaches" out of it at all. at worst, the texture of the grains might be good for algae growth, but that's a nutrient issue, not a sand issue.
just remember that silica based sand does nothing to buffer the ph.

also, in all of the reef tanks i've kept, not one sand bed ever saw a vacuum, and i never had any trouble with any of them. smaller grains will remove the need for sand bed maintenance.
Mr. X has returned! LOL Welcome back sir....

So woudl you recommend the play sand over the filter sand is the question of the hour. I personally like the texture but am concerned abotu rough edges.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:29 PM   #57
Aquarium Advice Addict

ha...i had a sudden rush of activities that kept me very busy. i'm starting to see an end.
as for the question, i don't know. i didn't skim through the entire thread, but what's up with rough edges? tiny little grains of sand with rough edges are a concern i'm guessing? it wouldn't be to me. just don't get any between the magnets of your algae scraper and i think you'll be ok.
i still prefer aragonite based sand for it's buffering ability.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:31 PM   #58
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I dislike the aragonite in myother tanks so I'm taking this opportunity to try something new. Hope it isnt too big of a scale lol.

Would dosing with a 2 part system help?

Thanks so much for your repsonses!
Old 05-19-2011, 06:50 PM   #59
Aquarium Advice Addict

yes, but how are you dosing? will this be a constant drip or dumping in some every day after work? i believe the calcium based sand helps keep the ph steady. i'm not sure what fluctuations you are going to see without it.
when i was told about it, i just went with it and always chose it since. i never considered not using it.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:58 PM   #60
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I was thinking the bottled dosing at least to begin with if there are any issues. Once I get my comfort level up a bit with the sump i don't see why i wouldnt have a drip doser rigged up. This is considering that it will be needed. Some people have reported sucess and haven't mentioned dosing.

Tags
pool, pool sand, sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com