Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-20-2011, 09:42 AM   #71
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Thank you Jenatron! Off to do some reading and hopefully it clarifies some things for me.

Old 05-20-2011, 09:47 AM   #72
Aquarium Advice FINatic

One last thing to consider is grain size. If it's extremely small, it might be a pain in the butt. I've gotten the impression that playsand is much finer than typical aquarium sand. I had a very fine sand by Caribsea and it flew around constantly, I ended up having to change it out.
And of course, if it says "Not for aquarium use," I personally wouldn't buy it.

Old 05-20-2011, 09:49 AM   #73
Aquarium Advice Addict

Very interesting read, so he concluded that play sand does leech silica, but it may or may not have adverse effects. Really good article.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:57 AM   #74
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

That was a really good article. It implies that silica is a needed nutrient in a reef. Interesting.

I think I may go with the pool sand, the play sand will be too fine I think.
I'm also going to rinse the beejesus out of the sand too. he had some silica release when he rinsed and soaked.

The only thing that might be an issue it seems are diatoms. Silicate feeds them, another good thing I learned from the article.

Another angle, maybe mixing regular aragonite with some PFS? Get a mixture of texture maybe?

I'm really trying to get a different look on this setup as far as substrate.
Old 05-20-2011, 11:06 AM   #75
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenatron View Post
Feature Article: Silica In Reef Aquariums — Advanced Aquarist's Online Magazine
The best resource I found based on science, experiment, and experience.
Talks about dosing silica and junk along those lines, but there's a portion about the debate of silica sand in aquaria and it addresses most of the arguments.
Thanks that's awesome. But one thing he doesn't touch on is the fact that our glass does dissolve (slowly) into the tank water. That was an awesome article and that "chemistry store" rocks... it ships to Canada... but they ship UPS so I'll have to ask about getting them to use someone else.
Greenmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 11:07 AM   #76
Aquarium Advice Addict

I really enjoyed the article myself.
Old 05-20-2011, 11:23 AM   #77
Aquarium Advice Addict

carey, the only problem I see is that the sand might be to fine and two things might happen.
1) you could get a constant sand storm.
2) The sand could clump and not become a filter of sort.
Old 05-20-2011, 11:33 AM   #78
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by thincat
carey, the only problem I see is that the sand might be to fine and two things might happen.
1) you could get a constant sand storm.
2) The sand could clump and not become a filter of sort.
Yepthat was my concern with the play sand. Even though I like better I'm gonna go with the pool sand. It had much bigger grains but not as big as what I currently use.

Tags
pool, pool sand, sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com