Play sand or pool sand? Pros? Cons?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carey

Aquarium Advice Addict
Looking to fill my 125 with about 250lbs of sand. I have heard soo many different things about the two listed in the title. Personally I didn't like the texture of the pool filter sand. The play sand was very small and seemed like the better texture.

What are the pros/cons of each? I have to rinse both right? Even though the playsand said screened and washed?

I'm looking to buy it this weekend so any input would be great!

Thanks everyone!

These were what i found when i went out today

img_1358266_0_8c0f9f3957bccd6726829130e5d71377.jpg

img_1358266_1_7b0ced3562a54cace2bc8afa4d50733c.jpg

I believe both of those sands have a ton of silicates in them causing algae outbreaks. I wouldn't recommend either in a saltwater tank.

Would rinsing the sand remove the silicates possibly? I know ALOT of people have used either or and I haven't heard anything specific about the outcome.

If its a matter of maintenance on the tank to avoid algae I can do that. i also have a lawnmower blenny and a sea hare so I never see algae now.

The silicates in sand are in crystal form and are not a problem.The silica sand causing algae outbreaks is another myth that exists in the aquarium world. (probably someone who had an outbreak was looking for something to blame it on)

So in your opinion I should be ok with 250lbs of play sand? This is a reef tank as well if that makes any difference. As an added note, i happen to have a silicate test kit. No idea igf it's supposed to be 0 but I can always test it. Though that won't help much once the sand and water is in LOL

Had I know what just posted I myself would have done this thank you carey for bringing it up.

Would it make any sense to mix the two? I assume that the playsand is gonna be tough to keep clean being that it's so tiny and the PFS is too big I think on it's own but maybe a 50/50 mix?

I'm also going for a DSB on this build. :-D That should be interesting

I use PFS and love it. Larger grain means when I vacuum it doesn't get sucked up and settles back down fast, it doesn't compact like PGS and like mentioned above the silica myth is IMO just that, a myth. My month and a half old FW 8g planted tank is showing zero signs of BA and my other, newer tanks (20g FW/29g BW) are showing zero signs of BA/Diatoms as well.

Thank you Mr.Limpet! Was waiting on you as someone said you had the most experience with this. :-D

Would the idea of a 50/50 mix work in your opinion? I have sand sifting creatures and I want them to have some fine sand as the PFS seemed quite grainy. But I also don't want to have a nightmare in cleaning the sandbed.

carey said:
Thank you Mr.Limpet! Was waiting on you as someone said you had the most experience with this. :-D

Would the idea of a 50/50 mix work in your opinion? I have sand sifting creatures and I want them to have some fine sand as the PFS seemed quite grainy. But I also don't want to have a nightmare in cleaning the sandbed.

Can't say I have the most experience, but I do like it a lot.

The thing to consider with PGS is it's a smaller, sharper/angular grain and from my research sand sifters might get hurt from it. I'm gonna put it in with my Moors, so that was a big issue for me.

It is a bit bigger than some aqua sand, but I like the look better and at $10 for 50lbs from Leslie's Pool Supply it was a good price. My local store asked if I wanted silica or non-silica based sand, so the latter was the obvious choice for me.

non-silica based sand, so the latter was the obvious choice for me.
IF the silica content doesn't matter, why would you choose the non-silica based sand? Just curious.

I stick by my original post. Agronite sand would be my choice (and is my choice since I am redoing my tank in the near future) I have spent a small fortune on my tank and will not risk fighting an algae outbreak over a couple hundred $ of sand. Just my 2cents.

Last edited:
redneckgearhead said:
IF the silica content doesn't matter, why would you choose the non-silica based sand? Just curious.

I didn't say it mattered, I said it's a myth. I have yet to see anything factual in a real world application that supports the theroy. Much like the anaerobic gas in sand myth or the many myths surrounding carbon.

The fact that I could get sand that was non-silica based, I eliminate any mitigating factors no matter how slight/far fetched.

As an example, I have a huge outbreak of BA in a 3+ year old, seasoned tank with original gravel and the only change was lighting (17w->55w). I was told that's impossible and I can safely say it happened. That's what I mean by a real world application.

I can appreciate the real world application opinions. What I like about this forum is that people can share what they've done and what happened. If PFS has been used, and people can honestly say from EXPERIENCE and application that it works fine then I'm sold.

On the other hand it's interesting to hear the what if's and warnings, it keeps me updated and informed as to what could happen.

If anyone has had a bad experience with PFS or play sand PLEASE speak up. I want the good and the bad. :-D

As a side note, I have aragonite sand in my 4 sw tanks and to be honest i don't like the texture or feel. My gobies don't seem to enjoy sifting it seems and I don't like the look even.

It's not always about the $$, though that is of extreme importance, but what's gonna work best and look good to me at the same time.

I can appreciate the real world application opinions. What I like about this forum is that people can share what they've done and what happened. If PFS has been used, and people can honestly say from EXPERIENCE and application that it works fine then I'm sold.

On the other hand it's interesting to hear the what if's and warnings, it keeps me updated and informed as to what could happen.

If anyone has had a bad experience with PFS or play sand PLEASE speak up. I want the good and the bad. :-D

As a side note, I have aragonite sand in my 4 sw tanks and to be honest i don't like the texture or feel. My gobies don't seem to enjoy sifting it seems and I don't like the look even.

It's not always about the $$, though that is of extreme importance, but what's gonna work best and look good to me at the same time.

+1

I agree completely with your statement and have learned a lot here both positive/negative in nature, or clearing up/correcting info I found along the way. For me the price of PFS isn't a factor, it's just happens to be a bonus :D.

I used quickrete play sand and it was a disaster. Toooo small grained, made everything dusty, and was a hassle to take back out. Vacuuming was impossible.

I think pool filter sand and play sand are just labels though and you can get different stuff depending on where you buy it and what brand it is. I'm not sure the criteria to look for, but I think just saying "pool filter sand" or "play sand" could describe just about any sand.

I stick by my original post. Agronite sand would be my choice (and is my choice since I am redoing my tank in the near future) I have spent a small fortune on my tank and will not risk fighting an algae outbreak over a couple hundred $ of sand. Just my 2cents.

argonite sand is calcium based and its also a PH buffer. it also comes out of the sea.

the glass in your aquarium is made of silica sand and you don't see glass aquariums with problems.

as far as the size of the grain, carey you plan on a DSB so you don't ever want to clean the sand. the critters that live in it will break down all the organics requiring no maintanence on it. when the DBS is establishing, you DO NOT want to disturb it. you can creat harmful gas pockets.

if you like the play sand then you can get a bag and get a feel for it in a bucket of water, see how it is and if you like how it looks and feels

I am following this thread, as well as your new build! I am in the process of setting up my 110g with 75g sump, and I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to know the good/bad/ugly about PFS (I hadn't considered playsand until I read your threads)...

Before I drop a load of cash on aragonite sand, I will continue to watch the threads in order to decide for myself what would be best to purchase. UGH, I have so little patience with this new setup ... I am sure you feel my pain! Good luck to you!

Back
Top Bottom