Playsand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jr5018

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok what do i look for when i go to get playsand from Home depot the bag has no ingredients on it all i see is silica free cleaned playsand safe for children and animals

jr5018 said:
all i see is silica free cleaned playsand
That's basically what you need to see. It should ensure you are getting an oolitic aragonite. The final test would be place some of the sand in a small bowl and add a tspn or two of vinegar. If it fizz's up, you definately have aragonite.

FWIW, pure silica if fine as well. It won't add to the buffering capability as the aragonite would but it still works as a biological/substrate base. Just watch for silica's that are not as pure, they can contain other metals and impurities.

Cheers
Steve

Any kind of playsand will work fine, it has to be safe for kids to swallow it by the pound to be considered playsand. Don't get construction grade as it is whatever happens to get pulled from the ground.

playsand

bkcup, i found some in Rosemead Homedepot not far from L.A. area

Alright, I bought some play sand that said old castle on it but after getting it home, I see that it is made in MI and has a breathing warning about silica. Does not say 100% though.

Would this be ok to use in my fuge? I have about 20lbs+ of aragonite in there already but I wanted to add a bit more. Would this be ok or not advised? I bought all LFS sand before and I can get 30 lbs for $22 but I only want to add 20lbs or so.

Should I just bite the bullet on the sand. It is a pretty white sand :(

Wwodyz, thanks for the help- I'll give them a try. (I'll tell 'em to save some for you too, tmcpeek)

pallets full

sorry replied late but they have 2 pallet full last time i checked. im thinking of getting some more sand. PM me and will talk, i just live around that particular home depot.

Thanks for the help. Good to see some out here on the west coast. I hope to have some picked up by my sister in law this week while she is down there. I live in the SF bay area and cannot track it down anywhere.

Wwodyz,

I tried PM'ing you but I don't think it worked. I wanted to find out what street the Home Depot was on. you can email me tmcpeek @ pacbell . net Thanks,
Toby

Back
Top Bottom