playsand specifics, please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EBR

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey Everyone --

I've got cc in my 55 gal, and I can't seem to get the nitrates below 20-ish for very long, which I suspect is what did in my cleaner shrimp (and the corals could be looking a bit better, too). Anyway, I've read many posts here about playsand, and need to clarify a few things.

1. I've seen many mentions about play sand/ argonite/ tropical play/ old castle/ etc. Now, is "argonite" a type of sand (man-made?) or is it a name-brand?

2. I have some play sand I got from HD for my kids' sandbox last summer -- it's the Pavestone "high desert sand", and is labeled as general purpose/ playsand/ paving sand. It's very clean (definitely NOT what you use for mixing concrete). Would this suffice for the aquarium?

3. Whether I use what I have or something else, how should I make the change from the cc? Change it out all at once, or half/third at a time with water changes?

4. Maintenance: With cc, I deep clean with the siphon during water changes as much as possible. I've read that such deep cleaning is not needed with sand (just surface vacuuming). Is that correct? My problem with the cc now is that I've got areas of the tank that I cannot reach with the siphon, so if this is correct re: sand, that would be great.

5. I've also read mentions of a DSB, and that although they are good, they can tend to collect pockets of toxins, and that one must be careful to NOT disturb the sand for fear of releasing these toxins in to the tank -- is that true?

I think that's about it for now -- Thanks for any help.
Matt

1- Aragonite is a type of sand. Most tropical sands are aragonite and are normally taken from mining operations out at sea.

2- That sand will most likely work but is probably a silicate based sand. Not as desirable but will work. It is a sand that will limit your cleaning crew.

3- It is recommended to change out 20% at a time.

4- Vaccuuming of the sand is not required. Some do siphon the top layer to remove algae etc. I found that controlling nutrients is better to keep the algae down.

5- I have heard the same stories but have seen no documentation. Not to say there is none I just havent searched for it. The DSB(4-6 in) will help in the denitrification process and gasses will be released. It will be seen as bubbles on the sand surface that are released a bit at a time going straight to the water surface. Unless the fish eat the bubbles or the bubbles are absorbed into the water column I dont see any problem.

Very cool -- many thanks for the quick answer!
Kudos on the way :)
Matt

Also, silica playsand won't add any buffering capacity to the tank. Aragonite based sand will slowly dissolve over time, keeping alkalinity levels up a little.

So silica would be better for soft water freshwater fish then?? My 29 gallon has some tetras in it. I may try the sand and just see what happens. I know neons are cheap but they don't deserve to die because I want sand.

Back
Top Bottom