Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-18-2008, 10:00 AM   #51
Thanx but no.....

Well here's the score in the bottom of the 9th. Practically eveyone here has opined that your tank has NOT cycled. Your 2 local fish stores have said it has and convinced you to BUY more water from them. You're down 3 fish and now fishless.

So, the score is:

Fish Store 3 (~ + $100)
Dr Dai 0(~ - $100+)

3 balls
2 strikes
2 out
Bottom of the 9th

Here's the windup and the pitch..................

Your move Doc

Old 06-18-2008, 10:07 AM   #52
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAhab View Post
Well here's the score in the bottom of the 9th. Practically eveyone here has opined that your tank has NOT cycled. Your 2 local fish stores have said it has and convinced you to BUY more water from them. You're down 3 fish and now fishless.

So, the score is:

Fish Store 3 (~ + $100)
Dr Dai 0(~ - $100+)

3 balls
2 strikes
2 out
Bottom of the 9th

Here's the windup and the pitch..................

Your move Doc
I think I am gonna to thrown in the bat and the towel too. It's time to kick the bucket sez I. How about changing another 30 gallons out and replaced with premixed RO water as advised. Should I hold off on it? Dai

Old 06-18-2008, 10:15 AM   #53
Thanx but no.....

Well, since you're now fishless your options have certainly opened up. I'd figure out what you want the fate of those inverts to be. Then dose ammonia and track how long it takes to drop to zero. The nitrite too. Then you'll truly know where in your cycle you are and can go from there.

No real sense I can see in changing the water at this point unless you are a partial owner in one or more LFS's that you frequent.

BTW: If nothing else, your sense of humor and persistance is to be commended through all of this. If it was me, well let's not go there.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:36 AM   #54
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Well, since you're now fishless your options have certainly opened up. I'd figure out what you want the fate of those inverts to be. Then dose ammonia and track how long it takes to drop to zero. The nitrite too. Then you'll truly know where in your cycle you are and can go from there.

No real sense I can see in changing the water at this point unless you are a partial owner in one or more LFS's that you frequent.

BTW: If nothing else, your sense of humor and persistance is to be commended through all of this. If it was me, well let's not go there.
Well my humor is to hide my deep emotional anguish that I am going through. It is a coping mechanism to deal with undesirable dire consequences since I started this salt water thing. Should have bought one of those virtue aquarium instead to play on my TV. Time to refill my Jim Bean sez I. You forgot that I still have one lethal arsenal left. That is the canary blenny that comes out couple of hours a day to feed. Dai
Old 06-18-2008, 11:02 AM   #55
Thanx but no.....

I'd still get him out (back to the store or a friend) and verify the cycle by dosing and charting.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:23 AM   #56
AA Team Emeritus

At this point all your out is the cost of the livestock. You still have the tank and all the other equipment. I would take the livestock to the store or another cycled tank for now. Get some UNCURED LR to start your cycle (order a box from Aquarium Fish: Tropical Freshwater Fish and Saltwater Fish for Home Aquariums), and cycle your tank properly. During the few weeks it will take to cycle your tank think about what you want your tank to look like, and what fish you would like to keep. Then check for compatibility of the fish and post your thoughts here for comment.

Take the time to do it the old fashioned (correct) way and you will end up enjoying your tank for many years.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 09:04 PM   #57
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I'd still get him out (back to the store or a friend) and verify the cycle by dosing and charting.
If the store or a friend is not an option, this is an excellent opportunity to start a QT. You will have to do daily water changes to keep the fish alive with an uncycled QT, but the water changes in the QT will be smaller, your big tank will be free to start a fishless cycle, or at least test your cycle if it really is cycled as the fish store claims.

After the problems with your main tank are sorted out, then you can use the QT when adding more fish in the future.

The fact that a water change helped your fish says there is definately something wrong with your tank water. You could start by removing those plastic decorations you mentioned, but the absolutely most common source of these problems is the ammonia cycle, so we need to at least test your cycle. (We test the ammonia cycle by adding ammonia, and seeing how long it takes to dissipate.)
dskidmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 11:08 PM   #58
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
That's a great idea!

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 09:16 AM   #59
Aquarium Advice Freak

Update on my Tank Progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by dskidmore View Post
If the store or a friend is not an option, this is an excellent opportunity to start a QT. You will have to do daily water changes to keep the fish alive with an uncycled QT, but the water changes in the QT will be smaller, your big tank will be free to start a fishless cycle, or at least test your cycle if it really is cycled as the fish store claims.

After the problems with your main tank are sorted out, then you can use the QT when adding more fish in the future.

The fact that a water change helped your fish says there is definately something wrong with your tank water. You could start by removing those plastic decorations you mentioned, but the absolutely most common source of these problems is the ammonia cycle, so we need to at least test your cycle. (We test the ammonia cycle by adding ammonia, and seeing how long it takes to dissipate.)
Hello all,

The clown in the sump is still alive and he appears to be a little bit better. The other clown hangs at the corner all day but still alive. Last night the canary blenny came out to chomp then dissappeared into the sand. I feed the aquarium daily by putting in the finely chewed seafood like shirmps or lobster meat. The ammonia, NO3,NO2 still zero. I bought a 10 gallon tank and I will put the fish in the QT along with the LS and LR. Can I test the cycle by doing it in the QT (putting ammonia and see how long it dissappears)? Of course there will be no fish in there. Dai
Old 06-19-2008, 11:33 AM   #60
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would leave the LS and LR in the main tank. Perhaps save your favorite specimen, but you need that medium for your cycle. (Unless you want to add more live or base rock, cycle with that, and then add these pieces back on top. In which case still leave the LS in the main tank.)

dskidmore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com