Please Advise On My New Tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Call it 'old school', but can the lfs point you to any scientific research that less than 1½ pounds per gallon of LR will supply you enough biological filtration to support a stocked tank in the absence of any other method of filtration?
Can the lfs give you a rational explantion for why your fish died?
Will your lfs put his money behind his word by giving you a money back guarantee on any new livestock you buy from him?

You have been no trouble. It's just that you appear to be "playing both sides against the middle". You need to stop doing that choose a path. As for me, I'm out of this discussion. I wish you well with your aquarium and hope that your lfs really does know your tank and is not just trying to sell you water and snake oil.

Hello all,

It appeared like I have stepped on some toes and it was not my intention to do so. I am so glad I found this site and I have learned a great deal from all your inputs. Again, my utmost immense gratitute. Regarding my tank, here's the update. I retested and ammonia, nitrate,nitrite are still zero. My Ph was low (7.8 and I have increased slowly (a week long task) toward the desirable 8.3. My calcium is at 400. All the corals are thriving at this point. I know I am going to get some heat for this but this is my opinion. I think the rule of 1-1.5lbs/gallon is applicable if the tank is moderately stocked. In my case, the bio load was small (3 small fishes) that 60 lbs was able to handle the ammonia. I think the number of LR per lb is dependent on the load of the live stock. If I only have 1 fish, do I need to have at least 125 lbs of live rocks? Logic tells me that you don't. I also think the Nitrate has been always zero because the bacteria population was able to handle it. Had I put in more fish, then no doubt a detectable level of ammonia or nitrate would have been recorded. This is purely my opinion and not because LFS people told me. On the same token, I am not saying that I am not respecting what I have been advised here on AA. I took some pictures and I will post here soon. I don't think the death of the Tang and feather duster was related to water chemistry since the blenny is thriving well. Again, thank you for advising me on my tank. Dai

Check the pH of the saltwater you are buying. pH additives usually mask the problem that causes the pH problem.

Partial Water Change Recommendation

Hi all,

At this current stage, what is the appropriate PWC? Is 10 gallons a week OK or can I do less ( I have 125 gallon tank)? I am going to use premixed RO water. Thanks Dai

My current status

Hello all,

Let me update on my tank. I have been measuring everyday for the past weeks and all the time Nitrate/ites, ammonia are all zero. I remove 15 gallons and top off with premixed RO water every two weeks. Calcium is 400, and Ph is 8.3. I noticed that everytime the water is changed, the corals closed up looking pretty bad then slowly open up after a week. But this time, some corals only opened up a little bit and I am concerned since they have not returned to their full glory. I think 15 gallons per change (I have 125 gallon) causes too much stress on the inverts and should I do 5 gallons a week instead? Dai

Doing such a small water change doesn't stress the inverts, if anything the dilution of organics relieves stress.

Next time you buy the premix, test the premix as well as your aquarium water. If they are too diffrent, that may cause shock to the inverts. Temperature swings can also cause shock to the inverts, are you keeping the water heated until it's needed?

More Questions.....

Hello all and I thank you for all your help!!!

I have some questions that I hope you all may help me:

1. I start to see some very small circles appearing on the back glass that are purple/pink in colors. These get larger everyday. I think these are coralline algea and that means my water chemistry/quality is excellent?

2. The pulsating corals, mushrooms, colt and feather finger corals open up and then close at times without any changes in light or water condition. They can be fully open then the next sunking in to almost nothing. Normal behavior or something amiss in my water?

3. The water is not crystal clear and should I put carbon in the three socks in the sump? People I talked to have different opinion on this.

4. What is the best protein skimmer to be used in sump? I have the one by Pro Clear Aquatics and I am not too happy. I have to adjust it CONSTANTLY and there are bubbles everywhere.

5. The flame angel fish has been in dealer's tank for over 1 month. I had them hold it for me. I took it home three days ago and he just refuses to eat. It looks like he is looking for something but not eating. I have tried brine shrimp, flakes, nori to no avail. Normal behavior for flame angels?

Thanks! DP

Back
Top Bottom