Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-13-2008, 10:19 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Please Advise On My New Tank.

Hello all,

I just set up a brand new tank with a sump with Caulerpa plants at the bottom. The tank is 3 weeks old and algae is starting to grow. At this time my tank data is as follows:

1. 125 gallon with sump/refrigium (24 hour a day light).
2. Two 36" T5 lights.
3. A fluid propulsion pump.
4. Live rocks and live sands (both in tank and sump)
5. 5 pieces of rocks that have false corals on them (clumps)- (brown and green)
6. 3 feather dusters (came with rocks and are growing).
7. Three mushrooms (all are opening up).
8. A clean up crew rated for 100-150 gallon tank.
9. One Yellow Tang.
10. One canary blenny.

Nitrate and Nitrite all zero. PH and specific gravity is within normal range.

I put in the blenny last night and after it was investigated by the Tang, it went nosedive into the sandbed (4" deep) and never came out since then.

My questions now are:

1. Did I put the fish in too early?
2. Is my clean up crew too many too soon?
3. Is the blenny dead?

Thanks ! DP

Old 06-13-2008, 12:19 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

your tank is young and when a tank is first started it goes through different algae phases and eventually the algae will go away or be eaten by your clean up crew.

1. Starting with your tank size. its a good size to start off on, a 125 will allow you to have many different species.
2. the lighting seems like you said it is on for 24 hours, maybe im reading it wrong? but only do 10-12 hrs of lighting at most. it will reduce the algae and work out better for your fish.

to answer your other questions:

Yes you put the fish in to early. its a bad habit for all of us and in this hobby you need to practice patience. Patience is key to success otherwise you will find yourself in a mess. Luckily for you its only two fish but there is a chance that your new tank will spike and the fish could die.

your clean up crew should be fine for now. just gradually add as you think you need them.

Your blenny is not necessarily dead. a lot of blennies and wrasses hide in the substrate and can stay there for many days without eating. it may resurface in a few days.

Old 06-13-2008, 12:22 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by amkelly View Post
your tank is young and when a tank is first started it goes through different algae phases and eventually the algae will go away or be eaten by your clean up crew.

1. Starting with your tank size. its a good size to start off on, a 125 will allow you to have many different species.
2. the lighting seems like you said it is on for 24 hours, maybe im reading it wrong? but only do 10-12 hrs of lighting at most. it will reduce the algae and work out better for your fish.

to answer your other questions:

Yes you put the fish in to early. its a bad habit for all of us and in this hobby you need to practice patience. Patience is key to success otherwise you will find yourself in a mess. Luckily for you its only two fish but there is a chance that your new tank will spike and the fish could die.

your clean up crew should be fine for now. just gradually add as you think you need them.

Your blenny is not necessarily dead. a lot of blennies and wrasses hide in the substrate and can stay there for many days without eating. it may resurface in a few days.
Hi,

The sump light runs 24 hour a day. I only run my aquarium lights 8 hours. I will watch the amonia and nitrite/ate level very carefully. If it splikes I will remove the fish right away. Dai
Old 06-13-2008, 01:09 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

What are your goals for this tank? Fish? Mushrooms/feather dusters/ other low-light inverts? Corals?
dskidmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 01:15 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by dskidmore View Post
What are your goals for this tank? Fish? Mushrooms/feather dusters/ other low-light inverts? Corals?
My goal is to have a school of green chromis (10), a yellow Tang, a Powdered Blue Tang, a flame angel, a canary blenny, a few feather dusters ,easy to keep corals and anemones. At the current stage I should not add anymore fish until when? Dai
Old 06-13-2008, 01:19 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dai Phan View Post
Nitrate and Nitrite all zero.
Ammonia also?
Old 06-13-2008, 01:22 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dai Phan View Post
At the current stage I should not add anymore fish until when? Dai
Ammonia and NitrIte need to be 0 for a couple weeks, and then add a few fish. Keep an eye on water parameters again, and add a few more in a couple more weeks.

If that algae is absorbing all your nitrates, do what you can to physically remove some of it when you clean the tank, to permenantly export those nutrients.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:25 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by dskidmore View Post
Ammonia also?
I measure ammonia by the hang on indicator. The circle is yellow which the reading says "safe". I put my fish in after 2 weeks of set up. I bought the live sand in the bags and the ad says " No Waiting Period! Just add fish" Ready in Seconds! ". I wonder if the aquarium can be ready in "seconds" or just an advertisement gimmick. It is like the charcoal bag that says "Ready in 10 minutes" so I started cooking my steak in 10 minutes. Guess what? I ended up with black charcoal steak so I learned not to trust the ad too much. DP
Old 06-13-2008, 01:30 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

What to do with growing Caulerpa in the sump?

After three weeks I noticed that the plants have grown to a big bush so do I just clip them and throw away the yellowing plants? I am afraid I will take away the nitrate absorbing power from these plants. Dai
Old 06-13-2008, 01:43 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I wouldn't rely on those hang on ammonia readers. You should have some basic test kits to monitor your tank. PH, Ammonia, NitrAte, NitrIte, CA and MG are nice also.

With your tank being young as it is you will see fluctuations in your water chemistry as things mature.

What kind of macro algae (your plants) do you have in your fuge? Most if not all of us cut our macro back every so often. That is how the nutrients are actually taken completely out of your system. I trim mine ever couple of weeks.

Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com