Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-06-2011, 11:26 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Please confirm.

After adding 2 clown fish, 10 crab and 5 snails 12 hours ago (initial stocking) I have the following test results. I ran a complete Saltwater and Reef test even though I have no corals because I wanted to see where I stand. I am using filtered tap water but not RO/DI and I wanted to see if I really needed to spend another $70.00 +/- right this minute. I have had some algae (I think it is hair algae) but it has not been bad and the CUC immediately went to work on it so I am not so sure if using filtered tap water is going to be that bad a deal for me as long as I keep an eye on it. Based on these results, I think my water quality is in good shape. What do you think?

Temp. 79
Salinity 1.025
PH 8.2
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10
Calcium 520+ (may have messed that one up. Will have to try again)
KH 7
Phosphate 0

Old 08-06-2011, 11:37 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Those look great. My nitrates are pretty consistently at 20 and I've had no problems...(knocking on wood!)

Old 08-06-2011, 12:37 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Looking good so far! I like to keep my cal around 450, thou. A water change would help bring that down, but it should not harm your tank sence there is no corals. I would correct that befor i add any corals. Good luck!
Old 08-06-2011, 01:12 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENTER_NAME View Post
Looking good so far! I like to keep my cal around 450, thou. A water change would help bring that down, but it should not harm your tank sence there is no corals. I would correct that befor i add any corals. Good luck!
Thanks. I figure I need to wait at least a month or so before I try to tackle corals. I will keep an eye on things for a while and see if the calcium comes down any. Not sure where all the calcium is coming from unless the water supply is very high. I am going to check that this afternoon and see what I find.
Old 08-06-2011, 02:13 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

people will keep saying to use ro/di water just because tap water is introducing trace elements to your tank that will only accumulate and resurface as an outbreak later on. not me though ...just people..
Old 08-06-2011, 02:20 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

LOL Francis. Thanks. I am cautions about going against what "People" say when it is so many people but in this cause I think I am going to try to get by for a while.
Old 08-06-2011, 02:24 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here are the results of the tap water test (after filtration but with no conditioner).

PH Less than 7.4
Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Calcium 0 (if I am doing it right, that means I am getting a lot from Instant Ocean and not using any up as of now)
KH 2
Phosphate 1

I am a bit cureous to know why I get a Phosphate reading of 1 in the tap water but 0 in the tank water. Would it be because the little bit of algae I have is consuming it?
Old 08-06-2011, 02:26 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by francis
people will keep saying to use ro/di water just because tap water is introducing trace elements to your tank that will only accumulate and resurface as an outbreak later on. not me though ...just people..
I'm one of "those people".Tap water will always end up causing problems,especially when you start getting corals,especially the sps corals

Remember SW is not like freshwater.you definitely want to use RO/DI water .IMO
Old 08-06-2011, 02:28 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricksreef View Post
I'm one of "those people".Tap water will always end up causing problems,especially when you start getting corals,especially the sps corals

Remember SW is not like freshwater.you definitely want to use RO/DI water .IMO
I am deffinately planning on it before I start adding corals. It just boils down to the cost at the moment. Got to pay off some of the initial investment first.
Old 08-06-2011, 02:32 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdnelson99 View Post
Here are the results of the tap water test (after filtration but with no conditioner).

Phosphate 1

I am a bit cureous to know why I get a Phosphate reading of 1 in the tap water but 0 in the tank water. Would it be because the little bit of algae I have is consuming it?
- ro/di water looks pretty sweet now i bet

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com