Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-07-2003, 01:23 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Please Help ,alot of ???????

Ok ' I have a 180 gal. tank ,about 15 pds. of LR and 60 pds. of base rock, I only have about 1 inch of sand bed is this ok for a fish only tank , or should I have a deep sand bed ? ( by the way what is the dif. between DSB and only 1 inch of sand , pros and cons ) I plan on later down the road adding more live rock . I only have NO lights for know but in the prosess of building a canopy with metal halide, 3, 400 watt lights and a couple of VHO or PC's . But for now it's only going to be a fish only tank.The tank has been going for about 4 mo. Im running a wet/dry filter ,a aqua clear protien skimmer , mag 7 pump and 2 801 Power heads. The critters I have so far are 1 yellow tang , 1 watchman gobey , 2 fire fish , 2 green emerarld crabs , 5 blue leg hermets , 5 red leg hermets , 6 turbo snials , 1 surpent star fish . The only problem I'm having at this time is diatom alge on the sand , I just added the hermets and the snials hoping it will help .

"Have a nice day "
Sharky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 01:36 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
Basically with a shallow sand bed, you won't get any denitrification from the sandbed. The rock will remove some nitrates, but probably not enough to control them. You'll have to rely on water changes to keep nitrated under control. With the DSB, you will have anoxic areas in the sandbed that will remove nitrates. You'll need a variety of sand dwelling critters (pods, worms, ect...) to keep the DSB working. Many of these will hitch in on the LR...you can also seed it with LS from an established reef tank. There has been a good deal of discussion here and other places about DSB's. You might want to do a search here on "DSB" and read some of the posts. Then you can decide whether you want to go with one. The diatoms are normal for a tank that has finished the cycle. They will usually go away on their own in time. Are you using RO/DI water? If not, you may be adding silicates which is diatom fuel. Fighting conches seem to be fond of diatoms...you might try a couple of them. Be warned that they will get large and you may have to feed them later though. The lighting sounds great! If you make the switch to a reef, you're going to need more flow.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.
Logan J
loganj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 10:19 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
I am moving this to the general discussion area, it should get better exposure there.
Hara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 04:23 PM   #4
Ok , so if I add some more sand enough to make about a 5 inch sand bed , wont the sand that I already have in my tank be live sand ? Or do I have to get live sand from another sourse to add to the new sand ?
Will this DSB be alright for a fish only tank with some LR ? I plan on getting
more LR but its going to be later on down the road , I 'm trying to save the money to get more LR , more lights , and another pump (mag 18 ) Im planing on putting the mag 7 in the tank to make a spray bar . I think this will be enough flow . And yes I am only using tap water hopfully a RO unit down the road also , this tank is really drained my wallet 8O
"Have a nice day "
Sharky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 08:17 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus
YOu could simple go with the 1 inch of sand no probelm. If you do a monthly vacuuming of the sand bed you will not even have to worry about nitrate processing what so ever. In a FO tank nitrates are not as much as a problem as they are in a reef tank. My tank is a reef and I only have an inch of sand. As with everything good husbandry (maintence) is the key to a healthy tank.

Make sure you check out

mojoreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 10:46 PM   #6
Originally Posted by mojoreef
As with everything good husbandry (maintence) is the key to a healthy tank.
I agree.... heck my first reef just kinda "grew" from a fish only with live
rock system and before I knew it I had a reef... just kept adding stuff
to it..... but the best of all, it had a under gravel filter!!
I ran that tank for nearly 5 years, monthly water changes / gravel vaccum
etc and I never had a Nitrate problem... not once. Then again I only had
6 fish in it (75gal)
Mudshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 11:44 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via AIM to troutman11111
this info on deep sand beds changed my mind. http://www.rshimek.com/reef/sediment.htm one of the coolest things is to watch the worms under the tank and on the sides. 6months and growing. 75 oceanic.

75gal oceanic with 20 gal refugium, 750g.p.h.pump for HSA-250 skimmer, EHEIM-1250 PUMP FOR 200gph mincal. calcium reactor with 20lb co2 tank and co2 regulator with solenoid, 800G.P.H. overflow box pump and filter, aquaclearl 500 power filter for circulation and carbon use only,wave maker 900, 3x300g.p.h., pinpoint ph controller, delta star 1/3hp chiller.with 600g.p.h. pump, spectrapure automatic liquid level controller for the addition of ro.di.top off water, kent marine 4 stage delux maxxima 35g.p.d. hi-s, t.d.s. monitor, flush kit, 170lbs live rock, 5in sand bed, acropora's LG green,pink, and med purple, LG montipora encrusting purple, LG porities coral yellow, LG ruffled ridge coral, LG starburst coral green, green hairy mushrooms 100+, blue mushrooms, red mush, fluorescent green mush,green striped mush, bubble coral, LG finger leather and 2in baby, green ricordia mush, in refugium halimeda plant, caulerpa, and lot's of bug's. 1 purple tang, male and female percular clown's, 1 yellow wrasse
troutman11111 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com