Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-06-2008, 08:04 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Unless you've been dosing your tank that Alk reading is suspect. How old is the test kit? Have you verified your water parameters at the lfs?

Test the sw you got from the lfs for Alk and nitrates before using it to make sure that's not the source of your problem.
Are you sure you are getting distilled water at the grocer and not spring or mountain water?

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 09:05 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmor1701d View Post
Unless you've been dosing your tank that Alk reading is suspect. How old is the test kit? Have you verified your water parameters at the lfs?

Test the sw you got from the lfs for Alk and nitrates before using it to make sure that's not the source of your problem.
Are you sure you are getting distilled water at the grocer and not spring or mountain water?
The KH test kit is brand new - it doesn't expire until 2010. The reason I got the tesk kit is because I inherited some multi-test strips from the previous tank owner and the KH level was maxing out at 240 (the highest reading possible) so I wanted something more accurate.

I've definitely been buying distilled water, not spring water. But remember, I've only had this tank for a few weeks and I've done two PWCs with my own SW mix from distilled and one with 5 gallons premixed from the LFS. The tank is over two years old and I think the previous owner was buying premixed.

I have not had the water tested at the LFS - how do you do that? How big a sample do you bring them? Is there a charge?

Old 09-06-2008, 09:08 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbieNY View Post
I have not had the water tested at the LFS - how do you do that? How big a sample do you bring them? Is there a charge?
Yes, just take a small sample (cup worth is fine) to the LFS and they should be able to test it for free. I have yet to see a LFS that charges for this service.

Tags
meters, parameters, water parameters

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com