PLEASE HELP ME... I need help setting up my 75 gl tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jonathan G.

Aquarium Advice Freak
Lets start off by saying that i am new to salt water aquariums so please if i sound a little dumb just work with me for a minute. OK here is the scenario... i am getting a 75 gl tank and stand and want to make in into a sw reef tank. Now here lies the problem, I have no knowlegde as to what equipment will be needed to start it. I have been reading information on how to cycle and the nitrogen cycle and have been educating myself in that aspect but when it comes to what i need to clean it and keep it running i just get confused. First lets start off with like plumbing and filters stuff; I hear all sorts of words like sump and overflow.... can anyone help me with what i will need and what brands are quality. Also i know you need a special light setup with reefs but i just have no idea what bulbs would be needed or anything of that matter so if someone could provide me with any information i would be very grateful.

Welcome to AA Jonathan!!! :smilecolros:

You've really got to read those books suggested by Darb2. Check out my profile for ideas about possible inhabitants and equipment in a 75g. I'm hoping to upgrade my lights to 4x96w soon. I got a 20g sump on mine, but you're gonna have to read those materials to get it. :wink:

Good luck and be sure to ask those good, informed questions as you read, learn and decide.

Yea thanks for your quick replies... I have been reading all of what i can off the internet and am definitly a lot more educated now then i was before, but i will get those books cuz there is still more things i need to learn. Also I have a couple more questions if you guys dont mind, I have a lot of lfs around and i noticed by going to most of them that most of their prices on equipment and fish very extremely. Now to keep me from getting duped what brand or make is an affordable sump and whats the price usually run? Also i was reading a thing on that garf website about making your own rocks. Have any of you attempted this and if so is it worth it?

Check some the web sites for equipment prices to compare to what your LFS is telling you. When you ask about an affordable sump, are you talking about a sump "system"? Skimmer, pumps, and all?

I'm not the one to offer comparsions on brands and prices for you, but reading those start-up books might help you to understand a sump and the equipment needs to do it.

I've not seeded base rock before.

Do a search for the DIY sumps here. There are many that have done it for cheap.

FWIW, I buy everything online to spare expenses. My LFS are very expensive here.

You could make your own rock, or just buy some base rock from hirocks.com then seed it with a few pounds of LR. There are many on here that have done this as well with success.

Mike

well what confuses me is when i look online i see two wet/dry filters that look totally different. I see cpr wet/dry filters that resemble what i think looks like the berlin method and then you have those eheim professonals that look like a canister. Also when using these what all do you need besides the actual product? I know with the CPR wet/dry you need the overflow and the return pump right? But what all do you need if you use the eheim professional? Also does this need a heater? and my last question is sometimes i see pictures of peoples sump or something that has a lot of plants and such growing, it almost looks like its not suppose to be growing... what is this process and what is it good for?

also for a basic setup would this be alright 2-4 maxi jet MP 1200, 2x200w heaters, 1 protein skimmer, and of coarse the sump; which im confused very much about. The lighting for reefs i am still very unsure about but i think i am getting the jist of it I just can distinguish the difference between the bulbs.

This hobby can be overwhelming sometimes. I think most manufactures are leaning more towards the berlin method because over time, it has been more successful than using the typical wet/dry bioballs, which have proven to accumulate nitrates over time.
If your tank is not pre-drilled, you would need an overflow and pump to get the water to and from the sump. I'm not sure about the Eheim product. You will want 2 heaters in case one fails. This is critical to your tank, and is a cheap investment.
The last thing you mentioned is called a fuge, which can be incorporated into a sump, or stand alone. There are many benefits to these. The plants you most likely see is macroalgae, which provide nutrients to your aquatic life and a more natural filtration for your tank. I don't have a fuge setup, but I am toying with the idea. HTH

Mike

3 Maxijet 1200's would be perfect for additional filtration.
An excellent protein skimmer (Remora, or CPR Bakpak).
I would go with 2x150w heaters just in case one sticks and over heats.
Lighting - if you are thinking reef, go with what is necessary now so you don't waste money later.
The most difficult part about the sump process is determining the right amount of flow from the pump so that it balances out with the overflow. You also have to include height as a factor. Too much flow from the pump will drain the sump, and not enough flow will flood the room. I bought a wet/dry unit and used it as a sump so I could have the proper flow. This helped eliminate a lot of confusion for me. HTH

Mike

If you haven't purchased the tank yet I would strongly urge you to look into drilled or "reef ready" tanks. They will eliminate the need for purchasing and plumbing an external overflow. I wish that I had gone that route. (but I also had a 75 gal tank that was sort of laying around.)

thank you very much guys that really helps out... however it seems as if the more i learn the more questions i have. Is a protein skimmer really necessary and also a uv sanitizer thing.

Yeah my lfs has equipment for pretty cheap, even cheaper then prices i see online. For a 75 gl glass aquarium with a stand is 210$ and he has a sump that he sells with the overflow kit for 149$. So im not really pressing the whole built in over flow or predrilled stuff but just so i know what r the benefits of such, and would you be able to do it through a glass aquarium?

Back
Top Bottom