Please help me with lighting!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tloktb26

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi. I have a 40 gallon FOWL. The inhabitants in my tank are: 1 maroon clown, 1 purple pseudochromis, 1 purple firefish, 1 yellow-tail damsel and 1 green brittle starfish. The tank is cycled and is about 3-4 months old. The lighting that I have is what came on the tank hood, just one fluorescent bulb. I want to upgrade my lighting but have no idea how to do so, I know nothing about lights! Eventually, in a year or so, I would like to keep an anemone or two, but for now, I just need a better lighting system that won't cost me a fortune. TIA

Do you intend to make this tank into a reef? Anemones typically require lots of light. Do you have a canopy over the tank? Do you want to DIY the lights or buy a prefab hood with everything ready to plug in? Is your 40 a 36" or 48" tank...I've seen them both ways.

It's a 36" tank. I don't plan on having a reef right now, but I am definitely considering it in the future when I can afford to buy a bigger tank. It doesn't matter to me if it is a DIY setup or a hood setup, whichever one would save me the most money but still be effective enough for an anemone when I decide to get one.

I would say the minimum would be a pair of 96w PC's...three would be better. A 250w MH would do a good job as well...that might be the best way to go. If you went with that, you could add a PC or VHO actinic later. If you go with the MH, it needs to be centered over the tank and it'll be a little dimmer on the edges of the tank since a MH only gives good coverage for about 24". JMHO.

Back
Top Bottom