Please help (SKIMMER)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jed

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I have just bought my first Skimmer but it is second hand and I don't know how it works and how to place it in the tank can any body help:confused:

Attachments

• Skimmer.jpg
    Skimmer.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 56
It Looks similar to a coralife skimmer to me pump goes in the sump along with the skimmer. Using the green dial, You adjust the bubble level so that its just inside of the neck of the collection cup it may take up to a week or more to start gettting this nasty green foam to collect in your cup. You could also google for a owners manual for a coralife super skim or the manufacture of the skimmer that you have.

Hi Stat, Thank you for your reply but I have not got a sump so do you know where I put the pump at the top of my tank or on the bottom. Many thanks
Jed

hang it on the back of the tank, you may want to shorten the hose between the pump and the skimmer and the air line goes to the suction side of the pump and the silencer hangs outside the tank and just like stat said you adjust the level of air/water mix in the skimmer by turning the green nob. if you like i can post a pic of an old coral life skimmer i have it is set up pretty much the same

Hi dafraguy many thanks for your reply it's helped alot. If you wouldn't mind posting a pic on here it would be much appreciated. I have just found out that I may need a bubble-production diffuser on the end of the output pipe but I don't know how important this is or where I can purchase one

i think your talking about a bubble trap and you could make one of those

Attachments

• mini-6-13-10 044.JPG
    mini-6-13-10 044.JPG
    22 KB · Views: 59
Many thanks dafraguy, at the moment I have the micro bubbles coming out into the tank from the outlet pipe do you think this will be harmful to my fish and coral. I have found mixed reviews about these skimmers what do you think of them.

not sure about the micro bubbles. i have never had any trouble with them, the only problem i have had with the skimmer is the original pump burned out, i bought a cheap replacement and ended up replacing the replacement with only a few months of use on it. i have since built a algae scrubber and removed the skimmer.

Thanks for your help, I only paid a tenner for it today and I can see the green in the top already so I can't grumble

Back
Top Bottom