Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 08-09-2013, 08:47 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
huma-huma's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: washington Pa
Posts: 5,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivanthegod

Not really if there is no fish in the tank creating food for the bacteria (poop, waste food...) ammonia is like a supplement
This doesnt really make sense. Youre telling me that the ammonia is a supplement? Why else would someone put the ammonia in the tank? Its to feed the bb. And like i said, if you continuously feed ammonia to a tank, the nitrate levels are going to rise. Sure there is the possibility that a dsb or other might slow the rise pf nitrates, but in about 80% of the time, we need to do pwc to remove nitrates. So why tell the op that live rock will remove nitrates??
__________________

__________________
my 125g Sw...Round 2!http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...220171-33.html
ever see someone cut a 125g in half??
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...-286438-4.html
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:03 PM   #12
member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 620
Cause it does, It turns it into tonight for Scott's
__________________

__________________
ivan_dalmatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:05 PM   #13
member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivanthegod View Post
Cause it does, It turns it into tonight for Scott's
Sorry the phone loves to correct me,
Does it not turn into nitrogen gas?
__________________
ivan_dalmatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:12 PM   #14
member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 620
But I do agree with you once your tank is cycled better off feeding it shrimp or something else
__________________
ivan_dalmatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 01:37 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mebbid's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan USA
Posts: 12,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by huma-huma View Post
This doesnt really make sense. Youre telling me that the ammonia is a supplement? Why else would someone put the ammonia in the tank? Its to feed the bb. And like i said, if you continuously feed ammonia to a tank, the nitrate levels are going to rise. Sure there is the possibility that a dsb or other might slow the rise pf nitrates, but in about 80% of the time, we need to do pwc to remove nitrates. So why tell the op that live rock will remove nitrates??
If nitrates weren't removed with live rock then it would change how the entire reef keeping hobby works. Nano reef tanks would be impossible to keep without doing daily water changes and yet people keep them and are very successful with them.
__________________
"The simplest explanation for some phenomenon is more likely to be accurate than more complicated explanations." -Occam's razor
Mebbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 02:46 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
huma-huma's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: washington Pa
Posts: 5,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid

If nitrates weren't removed with live rock then it would change how the entire reef keeping hobby works. Nano reef tanks would be impossible to keep without doing daily water changes and yet people keep them and are very successful with them.
I think that you misunderstood me before, im not debating that live rock converts nitrates, im simply saying that to tell someone that their liverock will convert nitrates to nitrogen is a bit misleading and harmful. Sure if a hobbyist is lucky, they may experience some nitrate conversion in their tanks, but they are still going to need to do pwcs to remove the biggest portion of nitrates (along with washing filters, removing excess detritius and skimming) an as i said before, this nitrate conversion just allows us to go longer between pwc
__________________

__________________
my 125g Sw...Round 2!http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...220171-33.html
ever see someone cut a 125g in half??
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...-286438-4.html
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.