Please Help!!! Want to start SW tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bnpleco

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I had a 2.5 gallon just lying around and I was wondering how about salt water!

Ya so it used to be fresh water

It has a filter that came with it can i use that?
What else do I need? Good fish?

Personally the smallest I'd go with saltwater is like 10g. Anything smaller is really hard to keep stable.

I have a 3 gallon with some zoas and xenia, crabs and snails. I wouldnt put fish in it. Ive used it as a qt for my dt for fish but wouldnt keep them in their very long. Parameters stay pretty stable without fish.

I was thinking the same about a 6Gal I have sitting around. It would make a nice desktop accessory.

Fish options are VERY limited with a 2 gallon. MAYBE a clown goby, but i would prob just get some inverts, snails, sexy shrimp, emerald crabs. and some coral. Youll need to make sure you have lighting for coral if you want to go down that route.

People don't really do pico( really small) FOWLR because of how limited the fish selection is.

h8z2luze said:
Personally the smallest I'd go with saltwater is like 10g. Anything smaller is really hard to keep stable.

Ya so I just want to have a little reef what do I do? What do I need?

I would also recommend a 10 or 20 to really enjoy a nice reef with a few fish.

Personally I would say to start off with a 55 gallon or bigger for a newbie cause the bigger the tank the easier it is to maintain and the smaller the tank the more maintain has to be done

I agree smaller tank are way harder to keep.

However if you did enough research and maintained it well enough you could get away with it. Also dont let exitement get the better of you. You will just end up ruining it.

You will need a small protein skimmer, Some Live Rock, Some Live Sand (Not 100% Required),and some good lights. LED's are good and you can get the in smaller sizes to fit your tank.

Back
Top Bottom