Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-21-2004, 03:30 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

If the fish is still swimming right side up then check your test kit. 8O A level of 8 should be toxic for anything.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 03:38 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Always a good idea to check with another test kit, just to be sure. If you have access to RO water then without buying a 2nd kit you can always test water from a known clean source and see what the rating turns out to be.

IMO nh3 at 8.0 could be tolerable (tho very stressfull/painful) if it ramped up over time. I'd take 'im out and return to LFS or a buddy's tank just to be sure for a while until levels pan out.

I've seen 8.0 for nh3/nh4 with uncured pacific lr before. Took about 5 weeks to level off.

Old 10-21-2004, 03:59 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to frogiii
Ugh!!! I thougt I was doing okay.......the LR from the LFS (bough the whole box) I've cleand it in a bucket of saltmix water, brush off some of black stuff. I guess I have to do it again. As for a little guy, he is back to LFS I need to make a trip to LFS anyway. I'll do a water change with ocean water. is this good?? or is ro water okay??? I do not know what to brush off from my LR??? I'm afraid I might scrub off good stuff too. Can you tell me what to look for (like color or shape etc.)
Old 10-21-2004, 04:10 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
I would not use ocean water. Unless it is gather a was out from shore. Too much chance for pollution or parasites making their way in to your system.
RO water is fine, actually prefered.
Old 10-21-2004, 04:19 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
IMO nh3 at 8.0 could be tolerable (tho very stressfull/painful) if it ramped up over time.

Please explain this. I was thinking that ammonia that high would have the fish showing signs of problems at the very least. I figured he'd be swimming upside down. 8O

Vote for AquariumAdvice
Old 10-21-2004, 04:20 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarryshark
Also usually wouldn't advise a water change during a cycle, but in your case you may want to do 1 or 2 to get that level down a bit.
I use to think doing water changes during a cycle would delay the process... now after more reading, I think differently.

From what I understand, most nitrogen based bacteria are attached to objects and are not free floating in the water column. If this were the case, you would get a cycle each time you did a water change.

The purpose of a cycle is to establish enough bacteria for your initial bioload. The amount of bacteria being established in your tank right now at over 8 is probably overkill and will eventually die off anyway to match the amount of bioload in the tank.

Right now your LR is brewing in ammonia soup. Any life on it has a good chance of also dying. Doing a water change will reduce the excess waste without affecting the growing bacteria. This should reduce the length of the cycle as well as the ammonia and nitrite peaks.

That's why it's important to add (quantity) fish SLOWLY to a new tank. Dumping a bunch of fish into a tank is just asking for disaster.

All of this is just my opinion... people have been successful cycling their tanks in a variety of ways.
Old 10-21-2004, 04:45 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Quote:
Originally Posted by TygGer
Quote:
Originally Posted by quarryshark
Also usually wouldn't advise a water change during a cycle, but in your case you may want to do 1 or 2 to get that level down a bit.
I use to think doing water changes during a cycle would delay the process... now after more reading, I think differently.

From what I understand, most nitrogen based bacteria are attached to objects and are not free floating in the water column. If this were the case, you would get a cycle each time you did a water change.

The purpose of a cycle is to establish enough bacteria for your initial bioload. The amount of bacteria being established in your tank right now at over 8 is probably overkill and will eventually die off anyway to match the amount of bioload in the tank.

Right now your LR is brewing in ammonia soup. Any life on it has a good chance of also dying. Doing a water change will reduce the excess waste without affecting the growing bacteria. This should reduce the length of the cycle as well as the ammonia and nitrite peaks.

That's why it's important to add (quantity) fish SLOWLY to a new tank. Dumping a bunch of fish into a tank is just asking for disaster.

All of this is just my opinion... people have been successful cycling their tanks in a variety of ways.
That pretty much sums up my feelings on the subject. With the ammonia this high, I feel that it will do more damage than good. That is unless the test kit is defective. That is why I suggested a water change. With a normal or low level, I would not have suggested it.
Old 10-21-2004, 05:10 PM   #18

I had 1 damsel & 1 blue damsel(I thik that's what its called) 1 of damsel had died and blue one is doing okay!!(although, he's always hiding) I'll test the water again tonight.
Old 10-21-2004, 05:17 PM   #19

I can't get more than 10 gal from ro per day(even less). Can I use tap water to mix the solution? My tank is 75 gal and if i want 40% change that is 30 gal at least.
Old 10-21-2004, 05:25 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tap water, as long as you declorinate it is better that ammonia soup.

Vote for AquariumAdvice

Tags
live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com