Please help with my live rock!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You can also get a membrane from your LFS that will process more RO water volume. Because of my tank size, I got a membrane rated at 30 gallons a day.
If you unit allows it, you could just change the membrane.

It surely would not be good for the fish, don't get me wrong. But if you put a damsel (for ex) in a new tank and cycle (as they did back in the dark ages) you can get readings this high and they will often survive. The biggest factor is how quick it changes - dropping from a bag straight in to a tank with this level is more shocking than putting one in a tank that ramped itself up over 3 days.

Pls understand I in no way condone or encourage this. - During my initial shipment of pacific LR my nh3/nh4 stayed at 7.0 for 10 days and many of the hitchhiking inverts survived.

My LFS tried to sell me damsels during that cycle, when I said no it'll stress the fish they stated "they'll be fine, and it will speed things up :!: "

Just my 2c.

Please explain this. I was thinking that ammonia that high would have the fish showing signs of problems at the very least. I figured he'd be swimming upside down.

For emergency situations, you could always buy distilled water. Around here, I can find it for as little as $0.60/gal. Some places, you can bring in your own container and get it for even cheaper.

Agree with Gerald, I would do the water changes and try to get it down. Use whatever (good) water you have on hand.
Also, check with your LFS, many of them sell RO water.

i just got home and check the level again for ammonia, it's still high 8.0
Im doing water changes as I post this message. I'm squezzzzing all the water out of my RO and It's not enough and just realize I dont have saltmix dang!!!

Go see about changing the membrane. I had to do the same thing. Where did you get the RO unit from?

DONE!!!
Scrubbed as much as I can and I did about 10% water change(That's all I had in the RO) Didn't want to go grocery(lazy). Is tap water bad??for any aquarium? Can I do more water change tomorrow maybe another 10% ???

Thank you all.....

My ammonia level is 4.0 still high. I'm going to grocery store tonigt and re-do the water change at least 30% this time. Is this good????

Your getting there. 4 is much better. Not totally out of line for a cycle. Agree with Gerald, I would also do another water change. You should be good to go then.
Working hard and good job. (y)

I went to a water machine and got a 30 gal of water (fist time in my life).
Yes, It's very hard work!!! Hope this hard work pays off~~~ I appreciate all your help and I wouldn't succeed without you good people. THANK YOU :lol:

I'll keep post my progress with my tank, hope you'll support me to get to certain level of cycle.

My ammonia level is still at 2.0 total of more then half of water change. How and when does ammonia level drop??? Can I let it cycle now continuously?

2 is still high but it's alot better. I would watch it and test water every day if not 2 times a day to make sure it dosen't go back up. Once ammonia starts to drop then you will need to start testing for nitrItes. That is probally the longest part of the cycle. Once NitrItes start to drop off and NitrAtes appear your cycle will be coming to an end, Wait until your ammonia and nitrItes are at 0 before adding livestock. Also if your nitrAtes are high 15 or better then do a water change once cycle is complete.

Congratulations! you are down to 2 from a high of 8. You're on your way. When you do water changes, even large ones (imo) you are removing a ton of waste, but you are *not* removing all that goooooood bacteria that is building up on the surfaces of your rock and sand.

Sounds like you are on the home stretch. I'd bet that it goes from 2 to 0 in the next few days...

How are your nitrites and nitrates? (phase II.......)

Back
Top Bottom