Please Review My Cycling Log

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nsu7

Aquarium Advice Activist
If you would, please review my cycle so far based upon my log entries (see attached picture below, maximize for best veiwing). Blank spots mean I didn't run that test. I am mostly confounded by the seeming precense of Nitrate, especially before Nitrite was just now detected... I am particularly interested into any insight into whether or not my nitrogen cycle appears to be developing properly.

Thanks.

PS~ Sorry about the dual pics, they're the same, I didn't realize it took it the first upload since it didn't show during the preview.

Attachments

• fish_log.jpg
    fish_log.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 44
  • fish_log.jpg
    fish_log.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 88
Looks like June 3 your SG went up because you added too much salt.

You dont want to do that again, cuz 1.035 is REALLY high, and I hear shrimp die if it has big changes like that.

The 10th of June your SG went up again. Let me ask you, is this water evaporating and you are mixing a salt mixture than putting it back in there? The salt doesnt evaporate, the salt stays in there, so you just need to add Freshwater then.

Looks like you are 1/3 through your cycle. Your ammonia is falling, Nitrite rising. Once your nitrite falls to 0 you can do a water change and add a fish (Just use the uncooked shrimp to keep cycling for now, its cheaper than having fish die)

Looks normal, just keep your SG under control.

Your PH goes up as the day progresses, and lowers down at night, so that could be the cause for your PH oddity I think.

Ok, thanks so much. Yeah when I add water to replace for evaporation I only add freshwater (no salt added). I can only think the Tufa rock I added on the 3rd caused the SG to go up b/c I haven't added any salt since I finished setup on the 31st of May. Maybe it had alot of dried salt???

Excellent insight into the PH, I'll keep that in mind. Should the PH swing vary as much as mine does just from day to night? Or do you think that Tufa rock messed up the pH? The LFS told me it would actually help regulate the pH...

Exept for one time it went too low at 7.8 it looks like it stays around 8-8.2, which isnt that bad.
Mine is at 8.1 most of the time, I would like 8.3 or so but I cant seem to get that naturally.

That PH Drop occured just after you added the rock, then it seems to be staying at 8.0

Does anyone know if 8.0 is too low?

I know 8.0 is on the low side, but I dont know how acceptable that is.

Interesting. What makes you want to have it at 8.3?

If I can't get it closer to 8.2 after my cycle and the ensuing water change, would it be a bad idea to use baking soda or a LFS preperation like Proper pH 8.2?

Ignore your pH readings for now. While the tank is cycling the chemistry will swing wildly and is of no concern unless adding freshly harvested reef rock encrusted with life. Since you have (correctly) chosen to continue the cycle with raw shrimp, let the tank cycle unhindered. No life should ever be added to a cycling tank if it can be helped.

Keep the salt content at 1.022-0.25 SG (preferabley 35 ppt), temp between 78-80° and monitor the three nitrogens.

Once ammonia and nitrite are no longer detectable your tank is done with it's initial cycle. Do a large water change (upto 50%) to reduce any nitrate reading and correct your chemistry. If after the cycle is done and the water change performed you still have a lower pH reading, it's most likely an issue with your set up.

pH can fluctuate anywhere between 7.8-8.5 +/- depending on the time of day tested so the value's you report later on after the cycle should be put into perspective. For the immediate future though all your going to do is give yourself a headache, just let the tank cycle.

If your up for some chemistry read (you included Zac), I suggest you read these...

http://advancedaquarist.com/index/ChemAqua.shtml

Cheers
Steve

Well although there is nothing wrong with doing a 50% change. I just leave mine alone :)

I also agree with Steve you shouldnt worry about PH until the cycle is done.

Well it seems like this website said my PH is fine at 8.1.

They say 7.8 is acceptable! I got the general idea that 8.0 was as low as you could go.

I knew Alk raised PH, I just havent gotten my chemicals to do so yet, and I didnt know how well it will actually raise PH

Zac,

If your going to add your thoughts to a thread please keep them in context and relavent to the original poster. This is not your thread although you are welcome to participate in it. :wink:

zacdl said:
Well although there is nothing wrong with doing a 50% change. I just leave mine alone :)
I said after the cycle was over, not during the cycle.

Well it seems like this website said my PH is fine at 8.1.

They say 7.8 is acceptable! I got the general idea that 8.0 was as low as you could go.

I knew Alk raised PH, I just havent gotten my chemicals to do so yet, and I didnt know how well it will actually raise PH
Do not try to alter the pH or add any chemicals to the tank until after the cycle is completed. There is absolutely no point given the above circumstances. We are discussing nsu7's tank, not your's.

Cheers
Steve

Oh, after reading it you did say that AFTER the cycle.

OK, now I have a question for you. WHEN the heck did I ever say my cycle is still going? Its been about 3 months since my cycle has been done.
I will not add any chemicals to alter the PH, Did I say that???????
I will be adding chemicals to alter the Alk.

Maybe YOU should be reading the posts more.

nsu7- 1.024-1.025 is what it seems most people like to keep their SG at.

1.026 is acceptable, but I dont know of anyone who keeps it at that, most people seem to keep it at 1.024 or 1.025.

zacdl said:
Oh, after reading it you did say that AFTER the cycle.

OK, now I have a question for you. WHEN the heck did I ever say my cycle is still going? Its been about 3 months since my cycle has been done.
I will not add any chemicals to alter the PH, Did I say that???????
I will be adding chemicals to alter the Alk.

Maybe YOU should be reading the posts more.
Keep posting the confrontational replies like this and I guarantee you your time here on AA will be quite limited. The other moderators and I have warned you time and time again if you want to ask a question regarding your system, start your own thread and stop asking questions in others. This is why you get muddled up. I am not directing the previous replies to you. This thread is not about you or your tank.

Period!!

Regards
Steve

Ok, thanks to both of you so much for your valuable experience and insight. It really is reasurring.

Nathan (?),

My appologies for the above "ugliness". I hope somewhere in this mess you found something helpful to your situation.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom