Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-19-2011, 09:59 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Please share your thoughts

Here are photos of some corals I got for a good price at a local fish store today, as well as some I've obtained throughout the week.

Overall they look very healthy but please share your opinions, thoughts, etc.

I'm all ears to suggestions. Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Duncan Coral.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	254.2 KB
ID:	48363   Click image for larger version

Name:	Green and Red Mushroom Coral.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	229.8 KB
ID:	48364  

Name:	Hammer Coral.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	233.4 KB
ID:	48365   Click image for larger version

Name:	Leather.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	228.7 KB
ID:	48366  

Old 08-19-2011, 10:00 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Here's the tank with the Lunar LED's only on; pic doesn't really do it justice though
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Lunars on.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	48367  

Old 08-20-2011, 05:18 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Do the corals look healthy to you? Do you think their placement is right? I'm just looking for opinions on what I'm not thinking about/missing to ensure my corals are healthy as possible.

Thank you.
Old 08-20-2011, 05:31 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would personally have the euphylia that I think I can see on the bottom of the tank, that's if they are a torch and a branching hammer, can't tell for sure on the iPhone.
Old 08-20-2011, 06:40 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leighton79 View Post
I would personally have the euphylia that I think I can see on the bottom of the tank, that's if they are a torch and a branching hammer, can't tell for sure on the iPhone.
yep the hammer is in bottom center
Old 08-20-2011, 08:36 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
placement depends on your lighting and flow.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:52 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
placement depends on your lighting and flow.
Do the corals look healthy to you so far? how long should it typically take for the corals to bloom, open up and grow over the rocks?
Old 08-21-2011, 01:17 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Depends on the light, flow and water quality. I have quite a few that showed immense growth in only a month or two. I also have some that are looking good but havent spread yet, like my candycanes. There are over 20 heads on it but no new growth. :-(

It could take several days after placing a new coral for it to "bloom" or open up, depends on the above as well.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:22 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
Depends on the light, flow and water quality. I have quite a few that showed immense growth in only a month or two. I also have some that are looking good but havent spread yet, like my candycanes. There are over 20 heads on it but no new growth. :-(

It could take several days after placing a new coral for it to "bloom" or open up, depends on the above as well.
Flow and water quality are near perfect. For what its worth, I'm starting to see the red coraline algae around my zoanthids, and they are creeping towards the edge of the stone theyre on so hopefully they will grow out on to my rock now.

My leather is fattened up and bloomed.

I have another coral I can't recall the name but it has overgrown the stone it was on from the shop and is spreading out on to the rock

My Green Mushroom is spotted a little for some reason, not sure whats going on with that one.

My Duncan opens up every day when the lights are on. Its brown when the lights are on, but green at night; though it closes up a lil at night.

My hammerhead is brown and looks like its doubled in size (in about a week) but also glows green at night and is brown during the day. The Hammer is far down in the tank not in direct sight of the halides.

Are the corals supposed to be colorful when the actinics and halides are on?
Old 08-22-2011, 10:00 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I'vew noticed mine are most colorful with just the moonlights. BUT I think thats just the bulbs we have. SOme different color spectrum bulbs can make your corals more colorful during the day.

It sounds like yours are doing just fine. My duncan actually closes up into tiny little heads at night. lol

Tags
hare

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com