Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-22-2015, 12:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Please tell me I was right...

I am brand new to salt water (been running fresh water tanks for a couple of decades now).

I am cycling my tank now - primarily base rock and aragonite, with some live rock and sand to seed it all... and I found this hitchhiker. It looked to me like aiptasia, so needless to say, it is long gone. Please tell me I didn't evict someone we might want living in the tank...Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429719947.894750.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	270659

Thanks in advance - looking forward to having it cycled and ready for official occupancy.

RnBMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 02:54 PM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion
That is aiptasia. Hopefully you didn't pull it off, as they are glass anemones and the 'shards' that break apart from such will become new anemones. Aiptasia-x, boiling lemon juice or water injected in the mouth will do the trick.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 03:11 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular
Thanks for your response.

Don't worry, I didn't pull it off. Fortunately, the rock it was on is pretty small. I took the rock out of the tank and injected vinegar directly into it. Let it sit for an hour, then have the whole rock a hearty scrub.

If I am lucky, maybe we can call this my initiation to saltwater, and that little stinker will be the only one I have to deal with.
RnBMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 01:20 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
I have had a tank completely over ran by those little buggers! After your tank is cycled I say get a couple peppermint shrimp just to be safe. 2 shrimp took down about 2 dozen of them in a single night for me.
(Although peppermints can be hit and miss with wheatear they will eat it or not)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
FishDaAx is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com