Please tell me I was right...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RnBMum

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am brand new to salt water (been running fresh water tanks for a couple of decades now).

I am cycling my tank now - primarily base rock and aragonite, with some live rock and sand to seed it all... and I found this hitchhiker. It looked to me like aiptasia, so needless to say, it is long gone. Please tell me I didn't evict someone we might want living in the tank...ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429719947.894750.jpg

Thanks in advance - looking forward to having it cycled and ready for official occupancy.

That is aiptasia. Hopefully you didn't pull it off, as they are glass anemones and the 'shards' that break apart from such will become new anemones. Aiptasia-x, boiling lemon juice or water injected in the mouth will do the trick.

Thanks for your response.

Don't worry, I didn't pull it off. Fortunately, the rock it was on is pretty small. I took the rock out of the tank and injected vinegar directly into it. Let it sit for an hour, then have the whole rock a hearty scrub.

If I am lucky, maybe we can call this my initiation to saltwater, and that little stinker will be the only one I have to deal with.

I have had a tank completely over ran by those little buggers! After your tank is cycled I say get a couple peppermint shrimp just to be safe. 2 shrimp took down about 2 dozen of them in a single night for me.
(Although peppermints can be hit and miss with wheatear they will eat it or not)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom