Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-10-2005, 11:56 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Please tell me if I'm heading in the wrong direction....

with this MH light box:

The box is 16.5in wide x 22in long x 10in deep. I will have 2 of these in my canopy (which I've yet to begin building). The lights are 400w each and lighting my 120 gal.

The questions I have are:

1) These lights will be approx 10in from the water, do they need to have a piece of glass over the top of the box? The reason I ask is because the light get's quite hot and I assume the glass would as well.

2) Would it be good design to include a vent or fan on the opposite side of the box.

3) Am I missing anything?

Thanks guys.

http://img236.imageshack.us/my.php?i...scn02314hr.jpg

Old 12-11-2005, 12:56 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Since it is the single ended bulb, you should not need a glass shield unless you think there is a chance of water splash on the bulb. With 400w MH you definitely need at least one and probably two fans per box and even that may not be enough. Do you have a chiller? If not you may need to look into one to absorb that much heat.

Old 12-11-2005, 01:06 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Why are you using 400watt instead of 250? You would be able to keep anything under two 250's. How long is your tank? A MH will only cover a 2ft area "good"
Old 12-11-2005, 03:30 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManMac
Since it is the single ended bulb, you should not need a glass shield unless you think there is a chance of water splash on the bulb. With 400w MH you definitely need at least one and probably two fans per box and even that may not be enough. Do you have a chiller? If not you may need to look into one to absorb that much heat.
Do you think it will be that hot? The canopy will have at least 2 fans out the top of the canopy and an open back. I was hoping that heat wouldn't be a problem.
Old 12-11-2005, 03:33 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenden
Why are you using 400watt instead of 250? You would be able to keep anything under two 250's. How long is your tank? A MH will only cover a 2ft area "good"
I found a good deal on 400watt kit on ebay. I also plan on setting these lights pretty far above the tank, I'm thinking even higher now to help with the heating issue. My tank is 5 feet long. I have a plastic cross-member down the middle of my tank so 3 lights wouldn't work. I also thought that since I was only going with 2 lights that the higher wattage would help compensate for only having 2 bulbs instead of 3.
Old 12-11-2005, 07:19 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
more watts really shouldnt give you more "spread" of light.. your still going to only have 2 good feet of coverage.. I would suggest planning it out that way (one foot of space total somewere isnt going to be getting enough light so put low light critters there if you get my drift)
personaly currious to see if you can get this to work.. it sounds kinda risky to have overpowered MH but what do I know
Old 12-11-2005, 12:11 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmaji
. it sounds kinda risky to have overpowered MH but what do I know
I must have missed something. From where do we know it is going to be overpowered? I agree that more watts will not increase coverage. The other thing to note is that if you plan on raising the height of the bulbs, you will get a nasty glare in the room. Heat most definitely will be an issue. You will not want to have any glass on the tank that will trap the heat in for sure. You may even need fans for the water. Or a chiller.
Old 12-11-2005, 12:45 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just a idea but how about 250w sun replicator pendants? You will not have the big heat issues that come with 400w MH and they put out considerably more light than a 250w retro. I went from 250w retros to these and I can see a big difference. I found a good deal on them. If you want price info I found PM me.
Old 12-11-2005, 01:38 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

So it would seem you guys are saying to step down to a 250w kit. Meaning that I would need to buy new lights and ballasts right?
Old 12-11-2005, 01:58 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

400w lights are just not going to acclomplish what you think they are. You will still not have any better coverage than you would with 2 -250 watt lights. You will have a lot more heat and power usage. I thought I wanted 400w lights due to my tank depth. Everyone I talked to told me to go with 250w due to heat and coral bleaching.

Tags
direction

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com