Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-13-2004, 04:57 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to XXFirefighter Send a message via Yahoo to XXFirefighter
13 gallons MAYBE once a month...
top offs once a week

XXFirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 10:38 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
I rely on water changes to replenish the trace elements that become depleted over time. I do not add any other chemical to my water. I do 10% everyother week (or so). Top off every other day, I go topless and it evaporates pretty fast.

lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 11:49 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak
I think it is funny that people are so scared to put trace elements into their tank without testing each element. Do you test each element of the Salt water you do changes with -- NO! Also, if stability is a factor in the health of a tank, then water changes are actually a bad thing. I understand that people think water changes will remove wastes and metals and all the other bad stuff, but the truth is that unless you are doing massive water changes, you cannot effect the water chemisty very much. Thnik about it, if you did 50% water changes, and your Nitrates were at 20, then the best you could get would be 10 nitrates, but that is also assuming the nitrates are always equally distributed in the water. (Which they are not!) And as for the trace elements, you would only be putting half of the initial amount back in, so you could actually still be deficient in the available trace elements.

If you cannot tell, I am an advocate of watching your parameters and doing changes when there is a real reason. If my filtration is working right, I do not do anything but top off and add trace elements, but then again I am usually on the minority side of ideologies anyhow.
Hook'em Horns!
MadManMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 04:06 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have found that for me anyway smaller more frequent changes have worked great.I have a 55 gal reef and do a 5 gal change every 10 days or so.
hawksview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 04:53 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Re-read it. I said 5% once a week wich will, on average, total 20% monthly.

Heavey metals end up in the water column through a variety of ways. Everything from additives that you may be using, to the salt you use for water changes.

Additives are a big way they end up there. Lets say you use Kent Calcium which is around 95% pure. The other 5% will have a lot of heavy meatals in it.

Heavy metals are unfortunately something that are fact in our tanks, but very few seem to be aware of.

175gallon reef

5,100 gal pond

Fish are people too!
SquishyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 06:10 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict
SquishyFish, 5% once a week does not equal 20% monthly

Also I didn't say heavy metals weren't there, I asked why they would be floating around. One of the worries of a dsb is supposed to be the build up of heavy metal deposits ie they sink!
My wife and I were happy for twenty years. Then we met.
- Rodney Dangerfield.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 06:40 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak
Heavy metals will cummulate on the sand bed and LR overtime, they have difficulty staying suspended due to their weight, but this is not what they mean by heavy. And 5% weekly would equal about 16% turnover give or take because of the removal of part of the preceding 5 gallon changes. With that logic, there is still 84% or so of the impurities, and over time the small changes will not keep that constant and it will build up requiring massive changes to take care of the wastes. I still think you have to build up the filtration system on all fronts so that it can be self contained and not require water changes. Adding trace elements is still the easiest way for me to stay in control. JMO! Everybody does it differently and it works manyt different ways.

Not to mention Squishy, I am doing some consulting in Chicago and may be able to hook up with Scuba_Steve to get some sand. If I can get it worked out, I will try and get some back for your, but it may take a few weeks/months to get it all back to Dallas.

Hook'em Horns!
MadManMac is offline   Reply With Quote

water changes

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com