Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-12-2004, 01:51 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to ambulocetus
Please weigh in with your two cents worth : Water changes!

Okay, i have heard anything from 25% once a month, 15 % a week, and some who suggest only replacing water lost to evaporation! What to do, what to do!! My tank currently has finished cycling, but is developing a slight film on top (my skimmer hasn't ben bought yet!) - Please feel free to give me suggestions to how much of a water change you do - hopefully if enough people post i will be able to just take an average!!!

Thanks for your help

Old 07-12-2004, 02:12 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

My view is, less but more often =) I do less than 10% once a week

3x penguin 1140 ph
2x65 10,000K and 2x65 03 Acintic
40lbs cc/30lbs argonite sand mixture
80lbs keys rock (www.liverocks.com awesome stuff)
25lbs fiji/tonga lr
10lbs lace base rock (now hapily live with lots of coraline growth)
lziarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 04:10 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

I feel it really depends on the filtration and location of your tank my water stays crystal clear and all perimeters are perfect with a monthly water change of 10%
Old 07-12-2004, 04:19 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

IMO, it really does depend on your tank itself. Tanks with a lot of critters or tanks with a lot of corals etc will use up a lot of the trace elements faster and thus need more water changes. If you have a FO or FOWLR (as I currently have) then you can probably get away with few an small water changes. I'll do 10% once a month (if that). unless you have a heavly stocked tank. If so then you likely will also have higher nitrates and will need to do more frequent/larger water changes to keep the nitrates in check. If you have a lot of corals or inverts then you'll need to either replace the trace elements they use with additives (And thus test for those elements as well) or again, do more frequent/larger water changes. It all depends on your tank.
Old 07-12-2004, 04:21 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks, I figured it would come down to the type/stocking level of the tank! Just looking for a ball-park figure!
Old 07-12-2004, 05:42 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

The "need" factor is only one aspect. And by that I mean, what do your corals need and what needs to be replaced. The waste export is the 2nd most common reason for water changes, but...think about it. If the cycle is doing its job, your not going to need to export nitrates and nitrites...the cycle will do it. What you will need to export are heavy metals that are deposited into the tank via impure water (top off) and possibly food or additives.

Look at it this way...picture the heavy metals as gravel. Your tank is a 5 gallon bucket. Initially you fill it up..(gravel and water) . Day one...gallon of evap, so a gallon of water/gravel back in. Same on day two. What will eventually happen? The gravel will make the water unihabitable for the fish...right?

As far as what percentage...what is your goal? It should be to keep the tank as stable as possible. This means that the parameters fluctuate as little as possible. Again, that means smaller water changes more often. If you do 5% a week, in the average month, you would have changed 20% of the water! Thats ideal and you didnt have a large impact on the corals and fish!

175gallon reef

5,100 gal pond

Fish are people too!
SquishyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 05:51 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I do 5% a week.
Old 07-12-2004, 06:21 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thank you for taking the time to give me some suggestions! Once again aa.com proves to be THE best place for aquarium needs
Old 07-12-2004, 06:31 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquishyFish
The "need" factor is only one aspect. And by that I mean, what do your corals need and what needs to be replaced. The waste export is the 2nd most common reason for water changes, but...think about it. If the cycle is doing its job, your not going to need to export nitrates and nitrites...the cycle will do it. What you will need to export are heavy metals that are deposited into the tank via impure water (top off) and possibly food or additives.

Look at it this way...picture the heavy metals as gravel. Your tank is a 5 gallon bucket. Initially you fill it up..(gravel and water) . Day one...gallon of evap, so a gallon of water/gravel back in. Same on day two. What will eventually happen? The gravel will make the water unihabitable for the fish...right?

As far as what percentage...what is your goal? It should be to keep the tank as stable as possible. This means that the parameters fluctuate as little as possible. Again, that means smaller water changes more often. If you do 5% a week, in the average month, you would have changed 20% of the water! Thats ideal and you didnt have a large impact on the corals and fish!
I'm not sure how doing water changes would remove heavy metals.. why would heavy metals be floating around in the water column?

And if your goal is to export unwanted buildups then 5% just isn't going to make an impact.. you'd be better off doing the 20% once a month. I'm too lazy to go into the math behind dilutions but I'm sure everyone knows it by now.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 08:33 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

i am doing 10% every two weeks along with regular top offs

EHEIM 2215 Canister Filter, AquaC Remora Protein Skimmer w preskim box, 36" PFO Lights with 2x 250W 10K MH and 2x96W T3 Actinics, JBJ Arctica Chiller 1/10 hp w/ Eheim 1250 Pump, Turbo-Twist 3x UV Sterilizer 9W, (1) Yellow Tang
(1)Potter's Angel, (2) Skunk Cleaner Shrimps,(1) Eibli's Angel, (26) Turbo Snails,(10) Nassarius Snails, (2) Sand sifting starfish
(1) Regal "hippo" Tang, (20) Hermit Crabs, (1) Coral Beauty, (1) Pygmy Angel, (1) Serpent Star, (1) Brittle Star, Pumping Xenia, Finger Leather, Yellow Polyps, Green Star Polyps, Colt Leather, Mushrooms, (2) Maxijet 600 PH and (2) Maxijet 1200 PH
Am I Overstocked Yet?
evenings is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water changes

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com