Plumbing help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ff.rice

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello all.... I am upgrading my aquarium and was going to be using PVC pipe to do all of the sump plumbing...... My question is; what kind of glue do I need to use for the joints and fittings?

Should look for safe for portable water on the can. I never used the primer on tanks.

+1 skip the primer. I've used Christy's Red Hot Blue Glue for years. Pipes are ready to be used within minutes of drying.

In the past, primers contained some sort of chemical I had researched and found to be incompatible with the reef hobby. A lot of folks were ok with it, but I chose not to go that route.

The red hot glue worked wonders by itself and no real cure time is needed, which isn't the case with the primers. Things may have changed now, but I can't say for certain.

Also, the red hot glue works great by itself and is rated to hold up at very high pressures. Our hobby pumps fall well short of the glue's limits.

I have used primer on all pvc and never had a problem with it. I have also used the pipes a few minutes after the pvc bond was made and also had no Ill effects.

I have used primer on all pvc and never had a problem with it. I have also used the pipes a few minutes after the pvc bond was made and also had no Ill effects.

Good to know Doug. What primer and glue do you like to use? I may start using primer again.

I just finished piping quite a few tanks together. I used a combination of PVC glues and primers. If you have the time for a full cure I prefer the grey heavy bodied cement. Over the weeks I used four different brands and types. From Weld On, Christy's, Oatey, & another that eludes me right now. Pretty much personal preference and how quickly you need it to set.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom