Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-09-2012, 09:42 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Pluming advise

Hello all,

I'm in the process of redoing my pluming for my 150 gallon saltwater tank and I was looking for some advise. Right now my system has two internal overflows that go into a 30 gallon glass aquarium / mod sump. I have a external Coralife 1100 P pump that connects to a 1 inch PVC that then connects to 2 3/4 PVC tubes that send water inside the tank. When the water flows back into the tank it does so through 1 inch flex tube. I can show pics if any one wants to see.

I now want to add a 36 watt UV sterilizer,check valves and possibly a chiller. I want to do it right but I'm not to familiar about flow rates connecting them together.

Should I connect the pump to 1 inch or 3/4 PVC? And keep the return line at 1 inch PVC? When I connect the UV, is it better to have a 3/4 or 1 in PVC? And should put a control valve at the start. Of the UV sterilizer? And then I was thinking of running the return line of the UV back to the sump, what do you think?

The return lines are going to be 1 inch, but the check valves I have are 3/4, will that be OK?

And last, how can I reduce the salt spray coming from the sump?

Thanks in advance

Rejordan73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:12 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion
I cant say a lot about most of this since I havent gotten that far, but concerning the salt spray I use a piece of plexiglas over my sump with cutouts for the skimmer and intake hose and a hole over the fuge to let light in.
Why do I love fish? Because every time I stare into the little world I have created for them, every problem I have just floats away....
Retired_AF is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com