plz recommend skimmer for 20gal reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lance M.

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have been neglecting to get a protein skimmer but now I am going to get one. The tank is about 6 months old with various corals, about 30lbs of lr and 10lbs of lace. I have one aquaclear 20 powerhead w/ quickfilter to prevent fish from getting sucked up (I had a stronger powerhead in there before but it got one of my baby o. clowns :cry: ) and an emperor 280 hob filter. Could someone recommend a skimmer for my 20 gal?

The Red Sea Prizm would be your cheapest option, but would not be good choice if your ever upgraded to a larger tank.

The CPR Bak-Pak would be a better choice. Slightly more expensive, but I would feel comfortable running it on a 55 gallon aquarium.

The best performer in this category would be the Aqua-C Remora with Maxi-Jet 1200. It is also the most expensive choice, but you pay for what you get.

I don't have a skimmer, yet, but I have hear this is one place you don't want to skimp on money.

I'd have to vote for the Aqua C Remora as well. For around $160 you can't beat it. The Fission skimmers is sorta like the SeaClone, I beleive. Venturi air driven. It's also quite a clutter in the tank and I can't really see something so small being worthwhile, not on a 20 gallon.

Just my opinion of course. When you buy a new tank, you also will already have a great skimmer for it.

Check out the AquaC Nano Remora too if you aren't going to upgrade your tank.

Steven Pro said:
It is also the most expensive choice, but you pay for what you get.

This is one thing I have learned about this hobby. You get what you pay for. :!:

The big trick with protein skimming is getting the contact time of the bubbles up to where it becomes useful. Since the AquaC and BakPak skimmers use taller reaction chambers, the bubbles take longer to reach the top and therefor have a longer contact time.

Back
Top Bottom