pod questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thegrumpyfish

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just started seeing various pods in my aquarium on the glass (copepods) i think, they are clear or white, and about the size of a grain of salt have antenna and a tail... and i saw an ant sized bug like thing in my tank (only one) before i could get a pic one of my damsels eat it so im not sure what kind it was but it was brown and about the size of an ant anyways on to my question how long till i start seeing these things in large numbers i only see like maybe 4 of them on the glass? I know i must have more of these i just cant see them right now. And can i just wipe them off the glass like algae? Tanks about 7-8 months old and i was wondering how much longer till i would see these in abundance thanks

May already be in the LR. Yes, you can wipe them off, but it's better to let them be, just part of cuc.

Wipe them off why? To get rid of?

You want them in your tank. The tiny ones on glass are most likely Copepods and bigger one you saw was a amphipod I assume. Keep them in your tank. Good clean up crew and love food for inhabitants. I always make sure my refugium gets fed too to increase my pod population.

I had an explosion of pods one night, the next day, the water looked cloudy. My cardinal went crazy over them. You can always 'seed' your tank with pods, but if there are a few, there will be more.

Mpfaff77 said:
Wipe them off why? To get rid of?

You want them in your tank. The tiny ones on glass are most likely Copepods and bigger one you saw was a amphipod I assume. Keep them in your tank. Good clean up crew and love food for inhabitants. I always make sure my refugium gets fed too to increase my pod population.

I was wondering if i were to wipe them off the glass if it would hurt them i know they are somthing i want in the tank and dont wanna hurt the little critters

mfdrookie516 said:
I had an explosion of pods one night, the next day, the water looked cloudy. My cardinal went crazy over them. You can always 'seed' your tank with pods, but if there are a few, there will be more.

Thats what i think has happend in my tank as my displays water has gotten cloudy with tiny white specks and a few tiny white specks on the glass (like about 3 or 4) but you can only see them in the tanks water when you look really close its not like its cloudy from a distance or even so cloudy you cant see my fish.. thanks for the input

I wouldn't worry about hurting them. I use mag float on glass a lot and pods even hang on the mag float and never miss a beat.

They can survive trip thru a power head or return pump too. They will be in all parts of your tank in no time.

Back
Top Bottom