Pods

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keimaxbode

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have pods, yeah! Stupid question: How do I clean my filter media without losing the pods living there?

Diana

They reproduce so quick that it isn't hurting anything to just throw them away with the cartridge or what ever your using

Yes I do want to save them just didn't know the best way to do it. I tried the plucking method during my last media change and got the ones I could see anyway. I'm sure I'm losing a lot still though :(

image-3121131023.jpg

They are making it up to my display. Here is a pic of my thermometer they are using as a condo. Hope the pic shows up. I'm new at this.

Diana

I never worry about losing pods. They reproduce very quickly, especially if nothing is eating them. My 55 is covered with them, rocks, glass...everything. I even took apart my refugium and still all over.

Yeah, I'm beginning to think the same when I took a close look into my sump and display. I'll still try to save what I can but won't worry about the ones I'm missing. Too bad we can't mail this filter media to members needing to get them started.

OK so I'm starting my new refugium soon and am wondering about these bags of live reef pods my LFS has. Has anyone used stuff like this before?

Nope, sorry. My pods came from the live rock and macro algae I bought. Got the rock from my LFS and algae from LA. And they made it thru hypo a couple of times. Though you normally won't see them very much unless you have a fuge or filter where the fish can't get to them. Otherwise they hide in the rock and sand.

Thartsockpg said:
OK so I'm starting my new refugium soon and am wondering about these bags of live reef pods my LFS has. Has anyone used stuff like this before?

Live pods are an excellent way to start your population. Turn off all filtration and pumps for 20-30 minutes and let them settle after you temp acclimate them by floating the bottle in the tank.

What about powerheads? Do you turn those off as well? I just ordered some pods so your information on how to introduce them is helpful

Gza166 said:
What about powerheads? Do you turn those off as well? I just ordered some pods so your information on how to introduce them is helpful

Yes. You want a still stank so the pods are able to float down to a safe place.

Back
Top Bottom