Pods escaping HOB mod refugium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragonfisher33

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm new to the whole SW category and i'm in the process of setting up all the parts to a decent 30gal SW tank. I have an Aqua Clear 50 that's collecting dust right now and i would like to convert it to a refugium. i have seen a lot of thread created on this topic but none of them address the issue of how do you prevent the pods escaping from the filter? of course some pods need to run away in order to serve as food for the other fish, but how do you prevent all of them from running away?

other than pods, can i try mysis shrimp or brine shrimp? has anyone tried this before?

If you put live rock and cheato o something in there the pods will live and breed in the rock and algae

If you put live rock and cheato o something in there the pods will live and breed in the rock and algae

yeah i plan on doing that, just not sure if the current will sweep all of the pods into the main tank. will the cheato be enough for the pods or do i really need pythoplankton?

I raised all 3 a small hob isn't the ideal hotel for pods
I used a 20L tank divided into 3 sections
the section for pods had about 3 inch of water and tons of macros for them to hide in
I also put a 1 inch shield around the top rim of this section with a 90 degree angle to prevent them from crawling out
had brine shrimp in another section and mysiss shrimp in the other
I no longer do brine or pods as they tend to give off a smelly odor
I now just raise mysiss started with about 30 shrimp now I have 1000s
the small tank to the left is the breeding tank since i stopped raising pods and brine I removed the dividers
img_2610813_0_f3122157f57be95a2b7f6f840078cdee.jpg

I raised all 3 a small hob isn't the ideal hotel for pods
I used a 20L tank divided into 3 sections
the section for pods had about 3 inch of water and tons of macros for them to hide in
I also put a 1 inch shield around the top rim of this section with a 90 degree angle to prevent them from crawling out
had brine shrimp in another section and mysiss shrimp in the other
I no longer do brine or pods as they tend to give off a smelly odor
I now just raise mysiss started with about 30 shrimp now I have 1000s
the small tank to the left is the breeding tank since i stopped raising pods and brine I removed the dividers
img_2610896_0_f3122157f57be95a2b7f6f840078cdee.jpg

the only reason why i'm modifying the HOB to a refugium is simply because it's collecting dust and since i want to say as much money as possible because this whole SW thing has burnt a hole in my wallet:whistle:. i only intended to put some macro algae in it until i stumbled across the threads about keeping the pods in the AC filter along with the algae.

but anyways, what did you feed the pods and mysis shrimps with? i have a spare 10gal and i'm thinking of doing a breeding setup for the two live food.

back to my original question, so the prevailing consensus is that the pods should be ok in a small amount?

I used Phyco-Pure ,Copepod Blend

I fed about 3x a week
they multiplied some what fast
as for that HOB they will climb and jump out
thats why I put 90 deg shields around the upper rim
with a nylon screen
there like fleas you don't want that in your home so use caution

img_2610955_0_e94fd3f05ac0d04e003c1547499c5654.jpg

Back
Top Bottom