Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-01-2012, 08:00 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Pool Filter Sand

I'm getting ready to switch out the sand in my tank because my sand is so fine it never settles. My question is I am gonna buy pool filter sand and didn't know if I need to rinse it really well and if there is any chance anything harmful could be in the new sand to. Thanks for the help...

Old 03-01-2012, 08:04 PM   #2
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

If you're up for suggestions, I'd skip the pool filter sand and go with aragonite sand. While I loved pool filter sand in my fw tanks, I just don't think it looks good in a sw tank. I was worried about the sand when I started my sw tank. I always see cloudy tanks after initial setup, and that bothered me. I got my sand in a bundle with my base rock and couldn't be happier. If you've never seen this site, check them out. I couldn't recommend anyone more - www.reefrocks.net. It's course, but not so course you can see the outline of it. Very similar to the sand you'd see at Myrtle Beach, and areas like that. It's heavy and doesn't blow around, and comes pre-washed meaning no initial cleaning required.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:06 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I think pfs look fine in sw tank. I used it in mine and I like it a lot.
^ Quoted from Porc Chop^
Hondatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:06 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have aragonite sand now its the finer grade oolite I think ( not sure on spelling)
Old 03-01-2012, 08:09 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I have pool filter sand in two of my tanks, a 90g fowlr and a 125g reef. Both tanks seem to be fine, silicates read at 0 and I never had any algae issues with it.

I have several tanks and I like the PFS almost as much as the aragonite. I only used it to try it and because on my larger tanks it was cost prohibitive. lol

I just bought 80lbs of sand from reefrocks for $40, which is a stellar deal. I would look at that site and maybe get theirs, I say it's worth the extra money.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:53 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Do I still need to rinse it really well
Old 03-01-2012, 08:57 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes you should.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:13 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

With aragonite sand do you have to worry about a build up of nitrAtes like you would with crushed coral?
Old 03-01-2012, 09:45 PM   #9
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndmartin0120 View Post
Do I still need to rinse it really well
Not if you get the sand I recommended. Even without rinsing, mine has never clouded the least bit. I can pick up handfuls and it just drops right back down.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:05 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516
Not if you get the sand I recommended. Even without rinsing, mine has never clouded the least bit. I can pick up handfuls and it just drops right back down.
Well I have aragonite sand and I always have a sand storm you must have a larger grain than I do i'm just sick of the water always having sand blowing around in it it sucks because it is a complete redo of tank but I don't have fish or corals right now so if i'm gonna do it now is my chance.

Tags
filter, pool, pool filter sand, sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com