Pool Filter Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ndmartin0120

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm getting ready to switch out the sand in my tank because my sand is so fine it never settles. My question is I am gonna buy pool filter sand and didn't know if I need to rinse it really well and if there is any chance anything harmful could be in the new sand to. Thanks for the help...

If you're up for suggestions, I'd skip the pool filter sand and go with aragonite sand. While I loved pool filter sand in my fw tanks, I just don't think it looks good in a sw tank. I was worried about the sand when I started my sw tank. I always see cloudy tanks after initial setup, and that bothered me. I got my sand in a bundle with my base rock and couldn't be happier. If you've never seen this site, check them out. I couldn't recommend anyone more - www.reefrocks.net. It's course, but not so course you can see the outline of it. Very similar to the sand you'd see at Myrtle Beach, and areas like that. It's heavy and doesn't blow around, and comes pre-washed meaning no initial cleaning required.

I have aragonite sand now its the finer grade oolite I think ( not sure on spelling)

I have pool filter sand in two of my tanks, a 90g fowlr and a 125g reef. Both tanks seem to be fine, silicates read at 0 and I never had any algae issues with it.

I have several tanks and I like the PFS almost as much as the aragonite. I only used it to try it and because on my larger tanks it was cost prohibitive. lol

I just bought 80lbs of sand from reefrocks for $40, which is a stellar deal. I would look at that site and maybe get theirs, I say it's worth the extra money.

With aragonite sand do you have to worry about a build up of nitrAtes like you would with crushed coral?

mfdrookie516 said:
Not if you get the sand I recommended. Even without rinsing, mine has never clouded the least bit. I can pick up handfuls and it just drops right back down.

Well I have aragonite sand and I always have a sand storm you must have a larger grain than I do i'm just sick of the water always having sand blowing around in it it sucks because it is a complete redo of tank but I don't have fish or corals right now so if i'm gonna do it now is my chance.

I switched out my aragonite for PFS today and i'm really happy how it looks the grain size is much larger and settled out really well and sand was super clean not a bit cloudy.

There are voids were I couldnt get the sand in will the circulation of the tank move the sand in those spots?

Back
Top Bottom