Pool filter sand for reef sandbed please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Martymar777

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey just got a 125 gal tank looking into getting a new sand bed was thinking bout putting pool filter sand I have a 55 gallon reef tank but I used expensive sand from fish store but it was super pricey but at 10 for 50 pound of the pool sand i can't find a better deal does any one use it and know the cons and pros of it I've heard of people using play sand to but I want my sand to stay on the bottom not floating all around thank you

I always use dry aragonite sand with a little natural ocean live sand if I can find it. Never tried silica based sand.

I have pool filter sand in my 150g cichlid tank. Love it so far. It's more of a natural brownish color rather than the white of most play sand. Pool filter sand is a little larger than play sand so it won't get stirred up as much. I just rinsed it for a couple min. Didn't cloud that much and the little that it did went away with and hour. Don't pour the water directly on the sand. Poor into a cup and it won't kick the sand up.

Kinda hard to see from the picture but this is what it is looking like as I was filling it up. It clouded up at one end because I had poured some water there just before without using a cup

Attachments

• image-2670633830.jpg
    image-2670633830.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 81
Back
Top Bottom