Possible 10G build.. first time salt water tank!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well say I wanted a few small corals, what type of light/bulb would be best?

Lighting for one coral is generally the same as it would be for a tank with lots of corals. If you want to go really low price you could look at Odyssea fixtures. Very very low prices and the fixtures include bulbs. You could have a coral capable light fixture with bulbs for about $40! Hard to beat that.

EDIT: Scratch that. I don't see the 2 bulb 20" fixture on the site now. They may be out or are only selling the 4 bulb 20" fixture now which is $55 bucks and more light than you need.

Rgillund said:
There are a lot of good hang on back protein skimmers out there brand new for 200 or used for 50. Something like a cpr rumpus would be perfectb and handle all filter work

Hmm I'll have to check em out, thanks!

CorallineAlgae said:
Lighting for one coral is generally the same as it would be for a tank with lots of corals. If you want to go really low price you could look at Odyssea fixtures. Very very low prices and the fixtures include bulbs. You could have a coral capable light fixture with bulbs for about $40! Hard to beat that.

EDIT: Scratch that. I don't see the 2 bulb 20" fixture on the site now. They may be out or are only selling the 4 bulb 20" fixture now which is $55 bucks.

Haha thanks! I have an Odyssea t5 for my 180G FW tank and I love it, makes my tank look so nice :) but yeah I'll def look into them!

DanS180 said:
I guess I couldn't just buy a aqueon deluxe hood and upgrade the bulbs could I???

No, its a t8, you'll want a dual t5 fixture. It'll give you decent light and wont break the bank. I think 4 bulb t5 would be overkill..

*edit*
I take it back, a 4 bulb may not be too much. Not sure. I know you at least want a dual t5 though. All depends on what you want to keep coral wise.

00youknowit00 said:
No, its a t8, you'll want a dual t5 fixture. It'll give you decent light and wont break the bank. I think 4 bulb t5 would be overkill..

*edit*
I take it back, a 4 bulb may not be too much. Not sure. I know you at least want a dual t5 though. All depends on what you want to keep coral wise.

Ok cool so I'll look into an oddysea light, I think they're pretty cheap online :)

DanS180 said:
Ok cool so I'll look into an oddysea light, I think they're pretty cheap online :)

I'd go with a 4 bulb, 2 x acinic and 2 x 10K. BUT, let someone else chime in too though. I could be wrong and 4 bulbs be way too much, lights aren't my forte:)

00youknowit00 said:
I'd go with a 4 bulb, 2 x acinic and 2 x 10K. BUT, let someone else chime in too though. I could be wrong and 4 bulbs be way too much, lights aren't my forte:)

Haha I understand thanks for your input tho, every little bit helps, as this is going to be a lengthy project with lots of research lol

You could run 4 bulbs on a 10 but that would be sps territory so any Softies even on the floor would probably need to be shaded. Honestly if you were decent with some DIY a 3 bulb retrofit imo would be the perfect amount of light for a t5 setup on a 10 giving you the ability to house all corals with proper placement

Mrc8858 said:
You could run 4 bulbs on a 10 but that would be sps territory so any Softies even on the floor would probably need to be shaded. Honestly if you were decent with some DIY a 3 bulb retrofit imo would be the perfect amount of light for a t5 setup on a 10 giving you the ability to house all corals with proper placement

Yeah I'm not really a DIY kinda person when it comes to electrical stuff unfortunately :/ lol

00youknowit00 said:
I dunno, I always just look at what it says it can handle. haha

Haha yeah I used to do that too when I was younger and had no knowledge of this stuff lol

Honestly a 10 gallon reef heat will probably be an issue so you may be wanting to think about cooling and not heating lol but a 50w would be fine to make sure temps don't fall

Mrc8858 said:
Honestly a 10 gallon reef heat will probably be an issue so you may be wanting to think about cooling and not heating lol but a 50w would be fine to make sure temps don't fall

I'm glad u said that! My apartment does get rather warm even with the air on, what would u recommend as far as cooling it if I needed to?

Firstly you can buy fans that clip on the side. If that's not enough you'll have to either run your ac cooler in the house or buy a chiller which imo is pointless if its a 10g. I keep my ac running 24/7 and a consistent temperature to keep my tank where I want it but I'm in a small apt so it really don't cost much to cool the place and I need to for my dog anyways. Always nice to be in the ac myself too lol :)

Mrc8858 said:
Firstly you can buy fans that clip on the side. If that's not enough you'll have to either run your ac cooler in the house or buy a chiller which imo is pointless if its a 10g. I keep my ac running 24/7 and a consistent temperature to keep my tank where I want it but I'm in a small apt so it really don't cost much to cool the place and I need to for my dog anyways. Always nice to be in the ac myself too lol :)

Lol well my apartment complex stinks and I think my air is broken and they just don't wanna fix it lol, I have my 180G at 86° but that's bc its a Discus tank with a 500w titanium heater lol I might be okay with just using a heater and maybe keeping it in the coolest spot of the apartment

DanS180 said:
Lol well my apartment complex stinks and I think my air is broken and they just don't wanna fix it lol, I have my 180G at 86° but that's bc its a Discus tank with a 500w titanium heater lol I might be okay with just using a heater and maybe keeping it in the coolest spot of the apartment

Well what's your ac set on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom