Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-17-2012, 04:41 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ya occy clowns dont get very big. Ya if you get a clown start slow!

Old 07-17-2012, 04:50 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-Nu the eel
Ya occy clowns dont get very big. Ya if you get a clown start slow!
what would u recommend to start off with equipment wise?

Old 07-17-2012, 04:52 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

And do black occys get any bigger??
Old 07-17-2012, 05:04 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Lps- large polyp stony (brain corals and acans) sps-small polyp stony (acros and montiporas)
Old 07-17-2012, 05:04 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

I had a 10 gallon reef tank set up for about five years. I had about 25 lbs of live rock, a Skilter HOB filter with the built in protein skimmer run from an airstone, live sand and tons of soft corals. I had a single clown fish in it for the first four years and he was super healthy until he managed to jump out. My corals were xenia, toadstool leathers, mushrooms and assorted polyps. I had to sell about 15 xenia and toadstools to various LFS's because they were just everywhere.

Trust me, you can do it. The best thing to do is get a good book on mini-reefs (the idiots guide is great) BEFORE you start the tank. A Skilter filter works wonderfully for small reefs. It functions just like any other HOB filter but has a mini skimmer built inside of it. To get it to work quietly you have to use an air pump and fine airstone. Use live rock for biological filtration, consider keeping some plants for nutrient absorption, try Purigen and carbon for chemical filtration, 2 T8 tubes for fish only or 2 T5 tubes for corals and for salt you can use any brand and size container you like. RO water is a must but RO/DI is a little better. One fish is truly all you'll want to keep. You could have some hermits, snails and peppermint shrimp as well. Trust us here, one fish is fine. It is possible to have a second but it complicates the whole viability of the system, especially when you're new to saltwater. My 10 gallon was amazing and never had a single issue (wasn't my first tank though). It can certainly be done. Again, the best place to start is with a good book.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:10 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorallineAlgae
I had a 10 gallon reef tank set up for about five years. I had about 25 lbs of live rock, a Skilter HOB filter with the built in protein skimmer run from an airstone, live sand and tons of soft corals. I had a single clown fish in it for the first four years and he was super healthy until he managed to jump out. My corals were xenia, toadstool leathers, mushrooms and assorted polyps. I had to sell about 15 xenia and toadstools to various LFS's because they were just everywhere.

Trust me, you can do it. The best thing to do is get a good book on mini-reefs (the idiots guide is great) BEFORE you start the tank. A Skilter filter works wonderfully for small reefs. It functions just like any other HOB filter but has a mini skimmer built inside of it. To get it to work quietly you have to use an air pump and fine airstone. Use live rock for biological filtration, consider keeping some plants for nutrient absorption, try Purigen and carbon for chemical filtration, 2 T8 tubes for fish only or 2 T5 tubes for corals and for salt you can use any brand and size container you like. RO water is a must but RO/DI is a little better. One fish is truly all you'll want to keep. You could have some hermits, snails and peppermint shrimp as well. Trust us here, one fish is fine. It is possible to have a second but it complicates the whole viability of the system, especially when you're new to saltwater. My 10 gallon was amazing and never had a single issue (wasn't my first tank though). It can certainly be done. Again, the best place to start is with a good book.
Wow thanks for your advice! I'll definitely look into getting a book and checking some things out

As far as a light goes, can I just buy a regular light and change out the bulbs or does it have to be a special set up? I know lights can get expensive so I'm not trying to go crazy for a 10g as oppose to going crazy for my 180G FW (of course I want that to look amazing, its my whole dining room wall lol)

And as far as Ro/Di, is that like premixed water?? If so can I get it at my LFS?
Old 07-17-2012, 05:12 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Lighting depends if you want a reef or not. If its gonna be fowlr (fish only with live rock) then any lighting is fine.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:13 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrc8858
Lighting depends if you want a reef or not. If its gonna be fowlr (fish only with live rock) then any lighting is fine.
Well say I wanted a few small corals, what type of light/bulb would be best?
Old 07-17-2012, 05:15 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

With Softies and maybe some lps you could get away with a dual t5 Ho
Old 07-17-2012, 05:20 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

There are a lot of good hang on back protein skimmers out there brand new for 200 or used for 50. Something like a cpr rumpus would be perfectb and handle all filter work

Tags
build, salt, salt water, salt water tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com