Possible 10G build.. first time salt water tank!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
DanS180 said:
Lol well my apartment complex stinks and I think my air is broken and they just don't wanna fix it lol, I have my 180G at 86° but that's bc its a Discus tank with a 500w titanium heater lol I might be okay with just using a heater and maybe keeping it in the coolest spot of the apartment

Wow. Have you tried putting a clip fan on your tank? My freshwater tank will run at 83° without a fan but stays at 78° with a fan (PC fan I attached to the hood). It only needs to be run in the summer. Really helps a lot! It would actually run cooler but that's where my heater is set.

You mentioned aquarium salt. That is for freshwater only. Marine fish and coral need marine salt mix. If you use freshwater salt, you will not sustain any marine life.

CorallineAlgae said:
Wow. Have you tried putting a clip fan on your tank? My freshwater tank will run at 83° without a fan but stays at 78° with a fan (PC fan I attached to the hood). It only needs to be run in the summer. Really helps a lot! It would actually run cooler but that's where my heater is set.

No I'm fine at 86° in the tank, that's where I want it actually

Rosesrblu1 said:
You mentioned aquarium salt. That is for freshwater only. Marine fish and coral need marine salt mix. If you use freshwater salt, you will not sustain any marine life.

That's what I meant, salt mix lol sorry for not being clear

DanS180 said:
AC set on 70°... today it got up to 95° here in Jersey and my thermostat read between 80-85°

Wow, your thermostat isn't working right is it? Generally they'll have a 2° give. So if you're on 70, it'll cool to 68 and wont come back on till it reaches 72. You might get that checked out..

00youknowit00 said:
Wow, your thermostat isn't working right is it? Generally they'll have a 2° give. So if you're on 70, it'll cool to 68 and wont come back on till it reaches 72. You might get that checked out..

Yeah well they seem to think its okay so I'm probably just going to go out and buy a new thermostat myself and if it fixes it, I'll hand them the bill :)

OK new idea, rather then use my 10G empty tank that I have right now, I might be purchasing a Fluval Edge 12G. Saw one in my LFS with a black clown fish in it and I thought it looked amazing :) anyone every own one? Or hear things about it?

I have the fluval edge of 6 gal with 2 clowns! Some people say even that the 12 gal model is not enough for 1 clown but i say if you have the water clean enough and cool enough then you can do it!! But do not add another fish!! And if you are thinking in going with some corals i think those leds are not enough!! I might be right or wrong about that!! But it sure is a nice looking tank!!! Im actually in love with that fluval 12 gal tank too!!!

angelvelez87 said:
I have the fluval edge of 6 gal with 2 clowns! Some people say even that the 12 gal model is not enough for 1 clown but i say if you have the water clean enough and cool enough then you can do it!! But do not add another fish!! And if you are thinking in going with some corals i think those leds are not enough!! I might be right or wrong about that!!

Oh gosh...a clown would fill a 10 gallon tank.. 2 in a 6 gallon is hard for me to believe/even visualize. Just wanted to say that so that the OP or anyone who is thinking about doing the same thing decides not to.

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Oh gosh...a clown would fill a 10 gallon tank.. 2 in a 6 gallon is hard for me to believe/even visualize. Just wanted to say that so that the OP or anyone who is thinking about doing the same thing decides not to.

Yeah I'm not sure what im goin to do just yet but it's a little hard for me to vision 2 clowns in a 6 gallon.. if I got the 12 gallon, id only do 1 clown and I know a lot people say that's pushing it so who knows, still undecided after hearing bad things about the Fluval edge kits, torn between the 12G and the 10G that I already own :/

Yes i know it kind of unheard and "not even possible" that 2 clowns fit in a 6 gal but in my lfs they have the 2 most beautiful black percula i have ever seen in a 10 gal half moon tank! So it is possible but may be not the safest way to go!! But what da heck they are alive and well!!

DanS180 said:
Yeah I'm not sure what im goin to do just yet but it's a little hard for me to vision 2 clowns in a 6 gallon.. if I got the 12 gallon, id only do 1 clown and I know a lot people say that's pushing it so who knows, still undecided after hearing bad things about the Fluval edge kits, torn between the 12G and the 10G that I already own :/

One clown in a 12 gallon is NOT a problem. Prove the doubters wrong! lol Then, post a pic.

Exactly!! If you dont wanna push it too hard like i did just put one and proof them wrong!!

Haha well as soon as i can squeeze some funds together and decide what tank I'm going to do, I'll start picking up parts piece by piece lol until then I'll keep everyone updated with what I'm doing :)

I just found a 16gallon bow front kit on Craigslist for $50.. practically brand new other than the box being open... think thatd be a good tank for my first SW?

A clown goby would do great in a 10 gal. Actually a lot if small gobies out there. The ocellaris clownfish would do OK if that's it.

paul87 said:
A clown goby would do great in a 10 gal. Actually a lot if small gobies out there. The ocellaris clownfish would do OK if that's it.

Yeah I heard about the gobies being good for smaller tanks, I really want to get a bigger tank but my gf would kill me and I don't know where id even put it lol I don't even know where I would put a 10G lol

Yes especially the green banded goby that are like some of my favorite fish ever because they are so cool beautiful and they even swim weird!! Abd you can have like 6 or more

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom