Possible 10G build.. first time salt water tank!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh wow I just looked up a picture of the green banded goby and they do look pretty cool :)

My new plan.. is to take down my FW QT and put it away somewhere til I need it again and put my SW tank in place of my QT :) I'm just limited to space so I'll have to figure out what to put there

Yea there is a panda clown goby too that stays tiny and it colored like a panda but I think it'd yellow and black. Awesome little dudes

My best advice for stocking a small reef is to always get the best quality live rock you can find. No base rock needed for such a small tank. Just having beautiful rock makes a huge difference. You won't need much so it isn't as big of a cost issue. I went to 5 different shops just to cherry pick the best pieces for my small reefs. Having fanworms and small bivalves all over the rock kinda made the fact that I had only one fish in my 10 easier to swallow. lol

angelvelez87 said:
Yes i know it kind of unheard and "not even possible" that 2 clowns fit in a 6 gal but in my lfs they have the 2 most beautiful black percula i have ever seen in a 10 gal half moon tank! So it is possible but may be not the safest way to go!! But what da heck they are alive and well!!

Okay this doesnt mean anything though?? I would put a shark in a 10 gallon along with a grouper and a nice school of yellow tangs and they will live (not very long) but they will fit in there and live. Doesnt make it right. And at your lfs you may not be seeing the same clowns, they have endless clownfish so they just drop in more once their previous ones die. I just saw this post and had to say something.

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Okay this doesnt mean anything though?? I would put a shark in a 10 gallon along with a grouper and a nice school of yellow tangs and they will live (not very long) but they will fit in there and live. Doesnt make it right. And at your lfs you may not be seeing the same clowns, they have endless clownfish so they just drop in more once their previous ones die. I just saw this post and had to say something.

True, most people have no idea about the high fish loss going on in some shops, but it isn't the least bit impossible to keep two clowns in a 10 gallon for years. I would NEVER advocate doing it but I know it has been done. What do you think about one in a 10? Personally, I think it would be fine if given the proper care. I'm actually thinking about doing it again.

CorallineAlgae said:
True, most people have no idea about the high fish loss going on in some shops, but it isn't the least bit impossible to keep two clowns in a 10 gallon for years. I would NEVER advocate doing it but I know it has been done. What do you think about one in a 10? Personally, I think it would be fine if given the proper care. I'm actually thinking about doing it again.

I have 2 clowns in a 20 extra high which has the footprint of a 10 but I've scaped pretty tall so there is more of a footprint in a sense and they are doing great

Ya i agree 2 clowns in a 10 isnt the worst thing someone can do, but people have the illusion that whatever a pet store does is right, which couldnt be father from the truth

im trying to rephrase what i said on my answer to you!! I know they are the same fish in my lfs so keep to you that thought because i go there every week and it is my problem and my responsability to watch for my fish!! Im sorry if any one does not have the ability to maintain a fish tank like i do!! If you think that is wrong then be my guess!! They do fit in a 10 gal cause seeing is believing!

Last edited by a moderator:
angelvelez87 said:
im trying to rephrase what i said on my answer to you!! I know they are the same fish in my lfs so keep to you that thought because i go there every week and it is my problem and my responsability to watch for my fish!! Im sorry if any one does not have the ability to maintain a fish tank like i do!! If you think that is wrong then be my guess!! They do fit in a 10 gal cause seeing is believing!

Its pretty hard for me to understand what you just wrote... But ill try my best to grasp it. Im saying that certain fish dont belong in certain sized tanks and that is NOT an opinion, it is a FACT.

Last edited by a moderator:
What i say is that clowns can be house on a 10 gal! And that is a fact as you wrote!! Because i have seen it! And yes i have to give you something not everything the lfs people say its true!! All i say is that is up to the fish tank owner to decide what he wants on it!!

angelvelez87 said:
What i say is that clowns can be house on a 10 gal! And that is a fact as you wrote!! Because i have seen it! And yes i have to give you something not everything the lfs people say its true!! All i say is that is up to the fish tank owner to decide what he wants on it!!

Haha you know what, i thought i would just end this dispute and show you facts. Not opinions like you are making. This is liveaquaria, and they say that the smallest clown fish (ocellaris clown) needs at least a 20 gallon! Mind you, this is the SMALLEST clownfish. Point proven.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+2124+755&pcatid=755

Okay, aside from everyone arguing I just wanted to tell everyone I just purchased a 16G bow front! It was a steal on Craigslist and it comes with everything except for a stand.

What's the first thing I should do after cleaning the tank?? Go out and get some ro/di??

angelvelez87 said:

Are you talking about 2 goldfish being in a 10 gallon or 2 CLOWNS?! I myself started the saltwater hobby with 2 clowns in a 10 gallon. Although, they were FRY. All I got was Cyanobacteria on the Sand bed and stressed fish. A month later I upgraded to a 55 gallon and the clowns are healthy as ever. If your planning on getting 2 clowns, the best you could do is get at least a 20 gallon.

I appreciate everyone's concerns on 2 clown fish BUT I'm not even near the point of buying fish. I just bought the tank today and id like to know what my first few steps should be..

If everyone wants to continue arguing I'm just gonna start a new thread.

DanS180 said:
Okay, aside from everyone arguing I just wanted to tell everyone I just purchased a 16G bow front! It was a steal on Craigslist and it comes with everything except for a stand.

What's the first thing I should do after cleaning the tank?? Go out and get some ro/di??

Clean the tank an then add rock then sand and fill it with saltwater :) haha after thats done start your cycle! Hah its easy to start up :)

Actually, can a moderator please cancel/delete this post. I'm going to be starting a new post. Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom