Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-27-2011, 01:56 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Dsb is a deep sand bed. Using a dsb will promote anerobic bacteria growth, which is the bacteria you need to change nitrates into nitrogen.... And ideal ph is 8.0-8.3, but a stable ph is more important than how high or low it is. If it holds steady at 7.6, I wouldn't touch it. When you start adding chems to change your ph, it usually will just de-stabilize it, causing it to swing drastically, and that's what kills fish.

huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:00 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Skype™ to KeeperOfFish
Quote:
Originally Posted by huma-huma
Dsb is a deep sand bed. Using a dsb will promote anerobic bacteria growth, which is the bacteria you need to change nitrates into nitrogen.... And ideal ph is 8.0-8.3, but a stable ph is more important than how high or low it is. If it holds steady at 7.6, I wouldn't touch it. When you start adding chems to change your ph, it usually will just de-stabilize it, causing it to swing drastically, and that's what kills fish.
Ok so lots of sand. Every time I check the pH it's 7.6 so I'm gonna leave it at that don't want fluctuation and dead fish. And then like 3lbs. of live rock sounds great. And I don't need a filter right? Carey told me for the ten gallon I didn't because the live rock would filter it with powerheads help. Does this still apply to this size tank?

Old 07-27-2011, 02:00 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Oh btw thank you for all your help and adviceI appreciate it greatly
Old 07-27-2011, 02:07 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeeperOfFish View Post
Ok so lots of sand. Every time I check the pH it's 7.6 so I'm gonna leave it at that don't want fluctuation and dead fish. And then like 3lbs. of live rock sounds great. And I don't need a filter right? Carey told me for the ten gallon I didn't because the live rock would filter it with powerheads help. Does this still apply to this size tank?
Yes, most SW tanks don't really have a filter (Well they do, but not a canister or HOB. the liverock acts as a biological filter as the current passes through from the powerhead).

As for some easy corals, look into mushrooms and polyps. You could also try bubble coral, or a hammer coral
Old 07-27-2011, 02:08 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I would try to add as much rock as possible, carey was def right in that your live rock will do most of the filtering, but only if you have enough. They recommend 1-2 lbs of live rock per gallon. I'd say try for 35-40 if possible. I'm also a wimp though when it comes to my tanks, I always run extra for filtration lol
Old 07-27-2011, 02:13 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by huma-huma
It is very possible to do sw tanks without a skimmer, and there's actually people on this site that can actually piece together a sw tank soo well that a skimmer isn't needed. If you go with 2-3 lbs of live rock and 2 decent ph, and perhaps a dsb, you won't need a skimmer. As previously mentioned skimmers actually physically remove waste, that means the waste removed doesn't even have a chance to break down into ammonia. But for a 29 bowfront you can get by without one, if you want to keep some advanced coral you may want a skimmer.....helps immensely
Don't you mean 20-30lb if LR
Old 07-27-2011, 02:13 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Good so I don't need to buy a filter. But I guess I'm gonna have to start saving for some live rock lol. And sand, and then fish, and corals haha this is gonna take a lot of money but totally worth it thanks for your help
Old 07-27-2011, 02:22 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Also do you think a dwarf angel would be ok in here? I know it says on most 30 gallons but it's a 1 gallon difference?
Old 07-27-2011, 04:18 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Mike, no I meant 35-40 lbs... To completely control the mitrogen cycle and the breakdown of waste into ammonia, you need 2-3 lbs of rock per gallon....I've seen people run 3 lbs per gallon and not have asingle filter/sump/refugium running ..and still be ok with parameters
Old 07-27-2011, 09:38 AM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you don't run a filter, then you're going to need a pretty good cuc and strong powerheads to prevent food from sinking to the bottom.

Tags
29 gallon, bowfront, fowlr

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com